The Emory men’s and women’s swimming & diving teams both had successful 2022-23 seasons. The men’s team won the national championship, and the women’s team finished as runners-up. (Natalie Sandlow/Staff Photographer)

Emory University’s men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams hope to make a splash this year. Last season, the women finished as runners-up in the 2023 NCAA Division III Swimming and Diving Championships, and the men secured the program’s third national title.

Head Coach Jon Howell, who is entering his 25th season at Emory, said he is looking forward to this year, despite having lost 35 swimmers to graduation. Howell said that this change is significant because these seniors played key roles at the national championships last year, securing first place in several events.

“Our seniors are always such huge contributors for us, both in terms of leadership and experience that they can share, but also our best performers every year are our seniors,” Howell said. “So we lost a huge group last year, and a very impactful group, but that clears the way for others to step into new roles this year, and that’s happening now.”

Associate Coach Cindy Fontana said the upperclassmen on the team are “engaged and motivated” to step into leadership roles, noting that a competitive but supportive environment creates a “great energy.”

The eagerness of the freshman class also “excites” Fontana, who said that it often takes new athletes time to adjust to a collegiate environment.

“Sometimes, [freshmen] classes can take a little bit longer to start speaking up or get involved in things,” Fontana said. “This group has, right away, shown their personality and been able to fit in.”

Men’s team captain and senior Ryan Gibbons noted that upperclassmen in past seasons have had to step in and motivate freshmen to give every meet their all, but that hasn’t been the case this year.

“This class has just blown us away,” Gibbons said. “Beyond fitness, they’re just so excited to get up and race in practice and in meets … These guys and girls are just so excited to be here, and honestly, that’s all we can ask for and more.”

On top of the adjustment to a collegiate environment, the NCAA recently changed the training schedule regulations for DIII sports. A set number of days rather than weeks measures the number of practices allowed, shifting this year’s season to have an earlier start date and longer duration. As a result, Howell said the coaching staff have “ramped things up” in training.

Other changes this season include working with a nutritionist, a confidence coach and new recovery coaching, particularly to safeguard the athletes’ mental health, Howell said.

“There’s just more that we need to do to help support them,” Howell said. “So we really invested a good amount of time and money into finding some opportunities for them to get some support in different ways.”

On the technical side, Gibbons spoke about how the team has emphasized racing, improving speed off the diving block and simulating competition through intrasquad meets.

The teams faced Queens University of Charlotte (N.C.) and Georgia Institute of Technology in October, who compete at the Division II and Division I levels, respectively. Although the teams’ only victory came from the men’s side against Queens University of Charlotte, senior and women’s team captain Moshelle Borjigin said going up against such tough opponents pushed people to perform.

“Every time we race a team that’s faster than us, it’s always so cool to see certain people that just throw down super fast times,” Borjigin said. “I feel like racing fast teams brings out the fast in people, and that’s just fun to watch.”

Howell added that he focuses less on the end result of a given meet and more on helping each athlete realize their potential. Howell said he doesn’t intend to “build upon” the results of last season’s national championship.

“I really look at each season as a unique fresh start,” Howell said. “It’s not going to help us to think back and to continue to celebrate what we did last year. We’re in a totally different spot now.”

Like Borjigin and Gibbons, senior diver Alex York is looking to make the most out of his last year at Emory, ideally making nationals. He’s been very close in the past, placing 6th in the 3-meter dive at the 2023 University Athletic Association Swimming and Diving Championships.

“We’re all trying to win NCAAs, so that’s definitely the goal for the year,” York said. “So [we’re] working hard every day in the pool and everything, just to get there.”

York, who is the only diver on the men’s side, said growing Emory’s dive program and improving his relationship with his teammates” are also a priority for him.

“As the sole male diver, it’s tough for sure,” York said. “But the guys on the team have been making a big effort to include me in everything.”

Fontana further emphasized the closeness of the team, saying they operate as a “whole,” not a part.

“That’s the idea, that you head into each and every day trying to get a little bit better,” Fontana said. “And you can do so in a group where you’re not only thinking about yourself, but you’re thinking about others. It really makes it a pretty special atmosphere.”

The teams’ next meet will be at the George W. Woodruff Physical Education Center for the Emory Fall Invitational on Nov. 3 at 6 p.m.

Sasha Melamud (she/her, 27C) is from Clearwater, Florida, planning on majoring in creative writing and spanish. In her free time, Melamud enjoys being out in the fresh air, fitness, and hanging out with friends.