Atlanta Hawks guard Dejounte Murray inbounds the ball against the Orlando Magic on Feb. 25 (Justin Whitening/Staff Photographer)

The Atlanta Hawks faced the Toronto Raptors on Feb. 24 in their first game after the NBA All-Star break. Atlanta entered the game with a 24-31 record and sought to improve their win percentage in the second half of the season.

The Hawks got off to a slow start, shooting 8% from the field four minutes into the game. The Raptors proceeded to go on a 15-0 run with strong performance from center Jakob Poeltl. Atlanta trailed 15-2. A layup by guard Dejounte Murray ended Atlanta’s scoring drought.

Murray led a valiant offensive effort, which revitalized Atlanta’s offense despite guard Trae Young receiving a technical foul for contesting a questionable foul call with 2:24 left in the quarter. Atlanta’s defensive struggles from the first half of the season continued, as they trailed 33-22 at the end of the first quarter.

With center Onyeka Okongwu out with a toe injury sustained on Feb. 12 against the Chicago Bulls, the Hawks frontcourt needed a spark from their reserves. Center Bruno Fernando provided that spark, helping the team cut the Raptors’ lead to five points.

A three-point basket from forward Saddiq Bey gave the Hawks a 49-48 lead. Poeltl set a hard screen on Young and knocked him to the ground. After no offensive foul was called on Poeltl,  Head Coach Quin Snyder was infuriated. He contested the decision to the officials and received a double technical foul and ejection from the game.

“I saw Trae take a shot to his quad, and I was concerned about his knee, frankly,” Snyder said. “He was on the ground, and I was worried that he was hurt. So, I probably deserved a technical, although that was the rationale.”

The converted free throw, a jump shot made by Raptors All-Star guard Scottie Barnes and a foul committed by forward De’Andre Hunter  gave the Raptors a 53-49 lead with 4:30 remaining in the half. Shortly after, Hunter argued a defensive foul call, and the officials eventually gave him a technical foul. The Raptors converted the free throw and extended their lead to 54-51. Raptors guard Gary Trent Jr. converted a three-point shot, and the team led 57-51 with 3:32 remaining in the half. The Hawks cut the lead to one, trailing 65-64 entering the half. They had a difficult time containing Poeltl, who finished the half with 10 points and five boards.

In the third quarter, both teams exchanged baskets until the Hawks took a 75-71 lead with eight minutes remaining. However, Raptors guard Immanuel Quickley continued to build off his strong first half by converting two three-point shots to give the Raptors a 77-76 lead. Murray scored a mid-range jump shot, which put the Hawks back in front. Rookie Raptors forward Gradey Dick provided a spark off the bench, helping the Raptors hold a 91-88 lead with 1:04 remaining in the third quarter. The Raptors entered the fourth quarter leading 96-90.

Atlanta failed to gain momentum for the fourth quarter, trailing 107-100 with 8:14 remaining in the game and by two with two minutes left. The Hawks had the ball with 18.3 seconds left and were down by three. Murray, while dribbling, was called out of bounds by the baseline. Despite the close call, Hawks Assistant Coach Igor Kokoškov refused to challenge the play. Barnes ultimately converted a layup on the ensuing possession. Despite a three-pointer from Young, the Hawks lost the game 123-121.

Despite the team falling short at the end, Snyder praised Fernando’s defensive efforts and highlighted the necessity for him to continue playing at that level. Fernando finished the game with 12 points, four rebounds and one steal.

“He’s done a good job,” Snyder said. “We need him to keep doing that, keep performing at that level, keep competing and playing hard.”

Fernando is proud of his development as a player, compared to his initial stint in Atlanta.

“It feels good,” Fernando said. “It’s a testament to the work I’ve put in throughout the time.”

Samir Ajy (he/him) (24C) is from Atlanta, Georgia and is majoring in political science on a pre-law track. In his free time, Samir enjoys watching sports, playing ultimate frisbee and watching comedy-based movies.