Following disqualification from the Student Government Association’s (SGA) presidential race, Elisabet Ortiz (24C) publicized her decision to step down from the race in a March 21 Instagram post. 

In the post, Oritz wrote that she and her campaign are “still advocating for a vote of no-confidence to show SGA the necessity of changing its constitution to include marginalized voices.” 

She began encouraging students to vote for “no-confidence” on the presidential ballot after publicizing her disqualification in a March 19 Instagram post. 

Oritz did not respond for comment by press time.

The Board of Elections voted unanimously to deem Ortiz ineligible to run in the SGA presidential race on March 16. According to Elections Board Chair Mild Trakarnsakdikul (19Ox, 22B), Ortiz does not not meet candidate qualifications given her enrollment status as a gap year student, and they notified Ortiz of her eligibility status on March 17.  

The election is currently scheduled to be held between March 22 at 12 p.m. to March 25 at 12 p.m.

In the post, Ortiz also said she will work to reform SGA by “advocating for legislation that protects disenfranchised students.” 

“It has been incredible to see this community champion a more equitable SGA,” Ortiz wrote. “This fight goes beyond my candidacy.”

Ranjan Kesavan (24C), Eleanor Liu (21Ox, 23B) and Alyssa Stegall (21Ox, 23C) remain in the SGA presidential race.

Editor-in-Chief | Matthew Chupack (he/him, 24C) is from Northbrook, Illinois, majoring in sociology & religion and minoring in community building & social change on a pre-law track. Outside of the Wheel, Chupack serves on the Emory College Honor Council, is vice president of Behind the Glass: Immigration Reflections, Treasurer of Omicron Delta Kappa leadership honor society and an RA in Dobbs Hall. In his free time, he enjoys trying new restaurants around Atlanta, catching up on pop culture news and listening to country music.

Madi Olivier is from Highland Village, Texas, and is majoring in psychology and minoring in rhetoric, writing and information design. Outside of the Wheel, she is involved in psychology research and works for the Trevor Project. In her free time, you can find her trying not to fall while bouldering and watching Criminal Minds with her cat.