Over the years, the history books have referred to me as a spirit, skeleton, unofficial mascot and, most accurately, an absolute legend. While few are bestowed with the honor of carrying on my legacy during Dooley’s Week and various special appearances, almost none are aware that before any of these miscellaneous titles, I, too, was an Emory University student. 

Having heard about the timely ascent of Emory’s 185th freshman class, I am finding myself suddenly nostalgic for my own experience. More than ever, though, am I resentful that I cannot relive it. Emory is nearly unrecognizable with all of the change brewing around campus in the last few decades, so I figured that I shall benevolently bestow the wisdom that comes with being a permanent and coveted Emory presence.

Oxford_Dooley / Haha169

Quadding, whenever possible

In all my years, I have seen only the happiest of students on the quad. From what I have recognized in my omnipresence, “quad” is quite a buzz verb on campus. Whether it’s between classes or at supper, for a club meeting or studying before an exam, with friends or with parents, our Coca-Cola-shaped quad is the hub of campus. When the sun is out, alongside blue lawn chairs clustered in pairs and sheets pulled on the grass, the Georgia sunshine is one of my favorite parts of campus — and the quad is the perfect way to enjoy it. 

You’ll regret every time you didn’t quad. I humbly apologize, but I don’t make the rules (except when I do). 

Classes at the WoodPEC (for free)

Yoga, taekwondo, weight-lifting, cycling — the list could go on. If I did not have a sense of notoriety to uphold, I would be registered for classes seven days a week; my lack of muscle mass also hinders me occasionally. I have never seen a student stride out of a WoodPEC class without some sort of relief on their face (whether it was because they went or because it was over, I couldn’t tell). Sign up for a few, because I would.

Secret identities know secret tunnels 

The covert tunnel that goes under the Robert W. Woodruff Library is a secret I find most first-years learning midway through being a freshman. Hidden steps lead in and out of this stone passageway, shrouded in greenery. It is the perfect break during midterm and finals seasons, and even a gateway into discovering more secret tunnels, buildings and societies — if deemed worthy, that is. Just don’t get too loud, as you teenagers do; immortal skeletons do tend to nap sometimes. 

You’re independent (though I’m always watching)

In my experience, freshmen always leave their first year with a renowned sense of independence, and before both they and I know it, they are expected to “adult” in different jobs and cities. This year marks one of the first times most incoming freshmen experience such autonomy.

I have seen this newfound independence used in a multitude of ways — joining various clubs, taking diverse classes or going out instead of studying a few more hours. Remember that this independence is yours and you can use it however you please … though I highly recommend any direction outside of your comfort zone.

I’ve heard it all

Above all, I will not advise you to do well in school or finish all of your readings.

Instead, I will advise you to explore boundlessly through your academics, for you just may be rewarded with me excusing your class during Dooley’s Week. 

I have heard it all: education should not be preached over passion, which can be found through Emory in every tenet. College is referred to as many contradicting things: “the best four years of your life” and “the worst four years of your life” or “essential” and “unnecessary.” This journey is yours and yours alone, which is why my advice about WoodPEC’s free workout classes is just as valuable as my wisdom about cherishing your independence. 

You will hate and love parts of the next four years, but all of those parts will be integral — specifically the handful of experiences you get to see me walking around campus. I wish you all great luck and recommend that you mind this advice, seeing as my 185 years worth of wisdom is far better than anything others could say (though they will try). 

Remember, I haven’t done this sort of thing for any other class — perhaps you’ll be the best yet.

Signed, Doolino

Saanvi Nayar (26C) is from Marlboro, NJ. 

Doolino resides in Atlanta, GA. | Doolino’s origins are yet to be discovered.

Saanvi Nayar (she/her) (26C) is from Marlboro, New Jersey and is interested in the fields of public health, sociology and women's studies. She is a member of the Editorial Board and outside of the Wheel, co-hosts a podcast @dostanapod, advocates with URGE at Emory and obsessively keeps up with The New York Time's "Modern Love" column.