Mercedes-Benz Stadium during an Atlanta United game against Orlando City SC on Sept. 16, 2017. (Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons/Bama in ATL)

Atlanta United entered the 2023 postseason hoping to make a deep run in the MLS Cup Playoffs. Atlanta earned its first playoff win since 2019 in the first round against Columbus Crew but fell short at the first hurdle, losing the best-of-three series 2-1.

Atlanta lose Game 1 in Columbus

Atlanta did not have a great start to its 2023 MLS Cup Playoff campaign. Before the playoffs even started, a red card in the final regular season game for star midfielder Thiago Almada meant that the Argentine international had to serve a one game suspension, missing the crucial game against Columbus Crew to open the series.

As a result, Atlanta lacked service for top-goalscorer Giorgos Giakoumakis. Columbus took advantage of its dominance, as Cucho Hernandez scored in first-half stoppage time and in the 51st minute to establish a series lead.

Atlanta respond with Game 2 victory at home

After a disappointing 2-0 loss in the first game on Nov. 1, Atlanta United returned to Mercedes-Benz Stadium in need of a win to keep its season alive. The home game also meant the return of Almada to the field. Atlanta beat Columbus 4-2 to even the series.

The two possession-based teams battled hard for the first half. Atlanta had a goal disallowed early in the half due to offside, and both teams’ strikers, Hernandez and Giakoumakis, picked up yellow cards for dissent.

Atlanta scored the opening goal of the game in the 38th minute. A curling cross from defender Brooks Lennon found Giakoumakis, who nodded the ball into the back of the net. In the 44th minute, poor communication from Atlanta midfielders caused a turnover, which resulted in a counter-attack goal from Columbus. Hernandez received the ball through the middle of the field and slotted a nice reverse shot into the bottom-left goal corner.

Despite conceding a late first-half goal, Atlanta re-established the lead before halftime. In first-half stoppage time, Almada won the ball back and quickly played a pass over the top to winger Saba Lobjanidze, who then passed the ball across goal to Giakoumakis. Giakoumakis patiently laid the ball off to winger Xande Silva, who slashed the ball into the roof of the net to restore Atlanta’s lead.

Atlanta created multiple opportunities to put the game out of reach early in the second half. Most notably, in the 60th minute, Giakoumakis was played in behind the Crew defense and only had the goalkeeper to beat for his second goal of the game. Unselfishly, Atlanta’s top goalscorer this season decided to pass the ball across goal to Silva, and the Atlanta winger hit the ball over the open goal from a few yards out. Instead of being frustrated with his teammate, Giakoumakis and the other Atlanta players comforted Silva and encouraged the crowd to show their support.

Atlanta wrapped up the game with two late goals. In the 82nd minute, forward Edwin Mosquera drove into the box, played a one-two with Giakoumakis and shot the ball into the top left corner. In the 87th minute, Almada chipped the ball over the top of Columbus goalkeeper Patrick Schulte to score his first MLS playoff goal. Columbus finished the game strong with a consolation goal in the 94th minute from forward Max Arfsten.

“Everything worked well, and I think we could’ve scored even more,” Giakoumakis said to reporters at the post-game press conference. “But at the end of the day, we had a great game and a great result. Nothing’s happened yet. We’re halfway there. We’ll have to repeat that Sunday to move on.”

Giakoumakis, who was named MLS Newcomer of the Year, not only scored in his debut MLS playoff game but also became the first-ever player to record three goal contributions in an MLS playoff match. Atlanta’s win over Columbus was the team’s first win in the MLS playoffs since 2019.

“We talked about getting the fans and the supporters behind us, and we knew that was going to be a crucial part,” goalkeeper Brad Guzan said to reporters at the post-game press conference. “They were incredible throughout the entire game. It is a massive win and a pleasure to play here at home. Now, we have to roll up our sleeves and go to Ohio and find a way to get another result.”

Atlanta’s season ends at hands of Columbus in Game 3

Atlanta started Game 3 on the wrong foot. In the 9th minute, a poor giveaway from Atlanta deep inside their half allowed Columbus midfielder Darlington Nagbe to slot the ball into the bottom-left corner of the goal. The Crew quickly doubled the lead in the 17th minute through a long-range strike from defender Malte Amundsen.

Another Columbus goal from forward Alexandru Matan gave Atlanta a mountain to climb just 33 minutes into the decisive game. United didn’t give up, though, and found hope through none other than Giakoumakis who scored after Lennon unselfishly passed him the ball across goal in the 35th minute.

However, the Crew started the second half as well as they did in the first. Forward Diego Rossi found the back of the net at the end of a slick counter attack in the 47th minute. Although Silva scored for Atlanta minutes later to cut Columbus’ lead, Columbus still finished the match as 4-2 victors to move on to the second round of the MLS Cup Playoffs, where they will face Orlando City.

Atlanta United season takeaways

While the team had a disappointing playoff run, fans can and should take solace in a well-fought series against a very good team that could win it all this season. In what many believed was the first season the United could challenge for the MLS Cup Playoffs since the departure of midfielder Miguel Almiron in 2019, the team fell short at the first hurdle. Many fans will blame head coach Gonzalo Pineda, while others will point to a leaky defense costing the team points.

Changes in the offseason will be a certainty. Almada will most likely move on to a team in Europe — something he has stated multiple times to be his goal. Silva’s loan deal ends during the offseason, and Guzan, now 39, will be considering retirement. Fans will have to hope that the team makes the right decisions over the offseason to come back stronger next season.