Two anonymous individuals filed reports against Emory University’s Alpha Tau Omega (ATO) fraternity chapter, located on 12 Eagle Row, for having a party on March 1 despite being currently suspended, according to Emory Police Department (EPD) Records Manager Ed Shoemaker (87G, 90G). Fraternities are not allowed to host parties while suspended, Shoemaker added.

The reports were filed as hazing, according to the EPD Crime Log. Students can anonymously report hazing through a hazing reporting form.

“At this party, one or more people were forced to drink alcohol,” Shoemaker said.

ATO’s house is located at 12 Eagle Row. (Derrick Tran/Former Staff Photographer)

This comes after allegations of possible hazing at ATO have arisen on the anonymous social media platform Fizz, but whether these allegations are connected with the fraternity’s suspension remains unconfirmed. Shoemaker said that this is all EPD knows at this time.

The Interfraternity Council (IFC) wrote in a Feb. 23 email to The Emory Wheel that acts of hazing are a direct violation of their values, which include leadership, service, brotherhood and scholarship.

“We take any allegations of hazing or other violations of university policy seriously, working in cooperation with the appropriate university offices to review allegations,” IFC wrote.

The University Anti-Hazing policy defines hazing as any action or situation that may inflict harm or humiliate any person for the purpose of initiation into a group or organization. 

ATO and IFC members did not respond to requests for comment by press time.

Emory has a zero-tolerance hazing policy and any student or group who violates hazing laws or policies will face disciplinary action, such as expulsion, the policy states. Amended in 2021 to include a definition for hazing, penalties and reporting requirements, the Georgia Anti-Hazing Law affirms that it is illegal to engage in acts of hazing in Georgia. Any person who violates the law “shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature.”

The state law also requires schools to establish policies on hazing, publicly disclose incidents and maintain student confidentiality.

The Wheel reached out to Senior Director of Sorority and Fraternity Life Scott Rausch, Director of Sorority and Fraternity Life Nicole Jackson and over 50 ATO members, but none responded by press time.

Managing Editor Sophia Peyser (25C), News Editor Spencer Friedland (26C), and Asst. News Editor Jack Rutherford (27C) are current members of Greek life organizations. None were involved in the writing or editing of this article.

Lauren Yee (25Ox) is a news editor at The Emory Wheel. She is from Hong Kong and is majoring in religion. Outside of the Wheel, Yee serves on the boards of the Phi Gamma Literary Society and the Oxford Ensemble of Shakespearean Artists. In her free time, you can find her playing the saxophone, watching musicals or enjoying an iced oat milk matcha!