Mia Usman / Staff Illustrator

After a (hopefully) restful spring break, do not let the initial workload of returning to school overwhelm you. Be sure to take time for yourself in between homework sessions to enjoy arts at Emory University, including classical music, a Student Studio at the Michael C. Carlos Museum and a Q&A with renowned Atlanta photographers.

Birmingham-Southern Choir Concert

Date: March 17, 7:30-8:30 p.m.

Location: Cannon Chapel Sanctuary

Cost: Free

Join the Candler Singers from the Candler School of Theology and the Birmingham-Southern College Concert Choir (BSC) for an evening of religious music. The Candler Singers will perform a brief set to open for the BSC, an Alabama-based mixed voice ensemble led by Dr. Lester Seigel.

Candler Concert Series: Lawrence Brownlee ‘Rising’

Date: March 17, 8 p.m.

Location: Emerson Concert Hall

Cost: $10 (Emory Students) | $50 (GA)

In an intersection of history and art, operatic tenor Lawrence Brownlee and pianist Kevin J. Miller will perform texts by Black Harlem Renaissance writers. The readings will be set to music by composers Shawn Okpebholo, Emory alumnus Joel Thompson (13G) and more.

Conversation with Jim Alexander and Tom Dorsey

Date: March 23, 7-8:30 p.m.

Location: Robert W. Woodruff Library, Michael C. Carlos Museum

Cost: Free

Join celebrated Black photographers Jim Alexander and Tom Dorsey for a conversation about their works featured in two respective social justice exhibitions on Emory’s campus.

Cooke Noontime Concert: Jasmin Arakawa

Date: March 24, 12-1 p.m.

Location: Michael C. Carlos Museum, Ackerman Hall

Cost: Free

The Emory Chamber Music Society of Atlanta welcomes renowned pianist Jasmin Arakawa. The program includes short and diverse compositions from several composers.

Student Studio: Egyptian-Inspired Beaded Jewelry

Date: March 24, 1-4 p.m.

Location: Michael C. Carlos Museum, Tate Room

Cost: Free (Emory Students)

Spend the afternoon perusing ancient Egyptian artwork in the Carlos Museum’s “Life and the Afterlife” exhibit and create your own beaded jewelry. All supplies and materials are provided; all you need to bring is a creative mind.

Candler Concert Series: Chad Lawson

Date: March 25, 8 p.m.

Location: Emerson Concert Hall

Cost: $10 (Emory Students) | $40 (GA)

Pianist and composer Chad Lawson is joined by violinist Judy Kang and cellist Seth Parker Woods to perform bold reinterpretations of classics with compositions ranging from Frédéric Chopin to Billie Eilish. Lawson’s music has been used in several shows, including “The Walking Dead” and “The Vampire Diaries.”

Emory Jazz Combos

Date: March 28, 8 p.m.

Location: Emerson Concert Hall

Cost: Free

Emory Jazz Combos are made up of small groups of five to eight student musicians. Support fellow students as they show off their improvisation and group performance skills.

Alexandra Kauffman (26C) is an English & Creative Writing major from Phoenix, Arizona. At the Wheel, she is an Emory Life section editor and Arts & Entertainment campus desk. Outside of the wheel, she is a member of Alloy Literary Magazine. She is also a science fiction enthusiast and enjoyer of the bizarre.