The convenience of streaming services has caused a surge in people ditching cable and embracing a subscription model. We are all tired of unnecessary channels and limited access to sports.

There is a rather old but important survey from 2015. In it, more than half of those surveyed would gladly give up cable TV if they can watch sports on streaming services. The availability of sports was the decisive factor for many in transitioning entirely to streaming services for their entertainment needs.

The profound impact of streaming has revolutionized sports accessibility, promising countless new and improved experiences in the future. With options like YouTube TV, fuboTV, Sling TV, and others, nearly every sport imaginable can be found. Even Hulu offers an impressive selection of college sports!

The Evolution and Impact of Sports Streaming Services

Streaming has actually had a positive effect on the sports industry, contrary to what one might think. It not only reduces piracy but also boosts revenues. By making games available on affordable streaming platforms, the desire to pirate or illegally share content decreases. Sports organizations have embraced this trend by offering additional exclusive content, such as behind-the-scenes footage, game recaps, vintage content, and interviews. This extra content not only attracts viewers but also contributes to the industry’s increased revenue. On the other hand, many people are moving away from cable due to high prices and inflexible plans. Cable services have become outdated and less appealing to the general public. As streaming continues to evolve, its impact on the sports industry will become even more apparent. Currently, streaming services are still in the experimental stage, tailoring their offerings to meet consumer demands. One thing is certain: streaming services have revolutionized how we consume sports content.

Best sports streaming services

#1 Hulu

Hulu is an amazing streaming service for sports fans! It offers all the major broadcast networks and a wide range of sports-specific cable channels like BTN, CBS Sports Network, ESPN, FS1, FS2, Golf Channel, and NBC Sports Network. The only downside is that it doesn’t include a few league-specific channels like MLB Network, NBA TV, and AT&T and Sinclair RSNs (although it does have all the NBC Sports RSNs). However, Hulu will be adding NFL Network and NFL RedZone just in time for the next NFL season, and if you’re interested in international sports coverage, you can subscribe to the Español add-on for only $4.99 per month. So, why wait? Start enjoying the excitement of sports with Hulu now!

#2 Fubo

FuboTV is a fantastic choice for sports fans looking to cut the cord. You’ll have access to national sports events like CBS, FOX, Golf Channel, NBA TV, NBC, NFL Network, TBS, and TNT. Additionally, fuboTV offers AT&T and select Comcast RSNs, although it does not include those from Sinclair.

When it comes to international sports, fuboTV is among the top options available. Just be aware that fuboTV is region restricted so you may need a VPN extension to access it. In addition to channels like beIN Sports, Fox Deportes, GOL TV, and TUDN, you can also choose from various add-ons that offer international sports channels. It’s worth noting that fuboTV now includes ESPN, but it no longer carries Turner channels such as TNT.

#3 Peacock

Peacock is perfect for those who enjoy sports as just one aspect of their mainstream entertainment. When it comes to on-demand content, Peacock’s library boasts The Office as its prized possession, alongside older and current NBC, shows like 30 Rock, Cheers, Parks, and Recreation, Saturday Night Live, Will and Grace, Law & Order: SVU, and This Is Us. To round out the library, Peacock offers its own exclusive original shows.

Although the service lacks 4K content or DVR features for live sports, you can still stream it on up to three devices simultaneously and use parental controls to filter content. However, the option to download shows for offline playback is exclusive to Premium Plus subscribers. The Peacock app is available on various platforms, including mobile (Android and iOS), media streaming devices (Android TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Fire TV, and Roku), and gaming consoles (Xbox One and Series X|S; PlayStation 4 and 5).

#4 ESPN+

ESPN+ offers a wide range of live sports events on a daily basis. These include MLB and NHL games, national and international soccer league matches, and various NCAA sports events. Recently, ESPN+ sealed an agreement with the NHL that will enable the streaming service to showcase 75 out-of-market NHL games. This deal commences from the 2021-2022 season and continues until the 2027-2028 season. If you’re interested in streaming access to PPV UFC events, ESPN+ is your go-to option.

Please note that this service does not provide streams of ESPN’s Monday Night Football broadcasts or live NBA coverage. Also, note that you may need the Firefox Proxy extension to access the service. It is not available in some regions. To get started, you can use VeePN free trial, that will be enough.

#5 Sling TV

Sling TV divides its sports coverage between its Orange and Blue plans. The Orange plan includes ESPN channels, while the Blue plan includes NFL Network and NBC Sports. To access all sports channels, you need to subscribe to the combined Orange & Blue Package for $50 per month. Sports enthusiasts may also want to consider adding the Sports Extra add-on for $11 per month. This add-on includes beIN Sports, ESPN U, Golf Channel, MLB Network, NBA TV, and NHL Network. Additionally, Sling TV offers an NHL Center Ice add-on.

Conclusion

The influence of sports broadcasting services is obvious and cannot be dismissed. As always, there are positive and negative aspects, but for the audience, this is an absolute plus. You don’t have to depend on cable to watch your favorite shows and matches. You will be able to access both local and international competitions from any device, thanks to the development of streaming.