From the first peel of the night to the postgame plaza party, the Savannah Bananas captivate their audience with hilarious antics. Since the team’s formation in 2016, the Bananas have made a name for themselves with their trick plays, viral TikToks and fevered dedication to their fans. Their fanbase, a bunch of “Nanners fans” known collectively as “Banana Nation,” has grown tremendously in recent years, with every game selling out and a waiting list of over 80,000.

The Bananas were formerly part of the collegiate summer baseball Coastal Plain League but decided to leave and bring their act nationwide as a “baseball circus.” This year, the team announced a new endeavor: the 2023 Banana Ball World Tour. The tour features stops in 22 states over eight months, making it easier for fans across the country to witness the magic of Banana Ball.

The Bananas have many long-standing traditions, including presenting a Banana Baby each game. One lucky young fan is held in the air to “The Lion King”’s “Circle of Life” (1994) while players do spirit fingers in a circle around them. Another tradition is the First Peel, where another tiny fan peels a banana, takes a bite and declares whether it is good or bad. This sets the tone for the night. Unsurprisingly, at the game I attended on June 17, the bite was good and so was the game.

The Savannah Bananas circle the chosen Banana Baby with spirit fingers before their game on June 17. (Jenna Daly/Managing Editor)

The game is restricted to nine innings or a two-hour time limit. Although the regulations sound normal, the gameplay is far from it. Batting walk-ups can include performances like third baseman Jackson Olson’s rendition of Bowling for Soup’s “1985” (2004). He was committed to the role, donning a wig and carrying a boombox throughout the grandstands.

Even the base coaches join in on the fun. Mike Vavasis, coach of the Bananas’ pretend rival team Party Animals, relaxed in his lounge chair with a dip in the kiddie pool and a summer drink on the first baseline. Bananas first base coach Adam Virant encouraged his players to “get a hit!”

The Party Animal coaches relaxed on the first baseline during a lull in the game. (Jenna Daly/Managing Editor)

Bananas Coach Virant holding a motivational “Get a Hit!” sign for his players. (Jenna Daly/Managing Editor)

No two games are the same, and the Bananas are always trying new tricks. During the June 17 game, the Bananas rocked RompHims for the game, which infielder Ryan Cox kindly showed off for me.

Infielder Ryan Cox showing off his new RompHim before the game on June 17. (Jenna Daly/Managing Editor)

While the games are unique, there is one ever-present value for the Bananas: spectacular fan experiences. The Bananas are truly dedicated to providing the best experience possible. Before the game begins, Very Important Bananas (VIBs) get early field access and have the chance to meet the players. I witnessed VIBs chatting enthusiastically with the Bananas and signing the player’s RompHims.

Throughout the night, players would run over to the stands to sign hats or baseballs before the innings began. Outfielder Danny Hosley played catch with fans as the pitchers warmed up.

Olson’s favorite memory as a Banana involves a fan — of course — who was wearing a jacket from Michael Gracey’s “The Greatest Showman” (2017). As an enthusiast of that movie, Olson knew he had to include the fan in the game.

“[Director of Entertainment] Zack Frongillo basically said, ‘Hey, let’s do a full-on presentation for this,’” Olson said. “‘Have him present you your bat when you come to bat.’ So I walked up, and he brought my bat up and he did ‘The Greatest Showman’ pose and it was cool.”

Like Olson, utility player Vinny DeRubeis’ favorite memory included a fan encounter after a game the previous week.

“There was a young kid that was hanging around the stadium and there were about 12 players and employees that stayed after and played a baseball game with this little kid for about an hour and a half,” Derubeis said. “I was sitting in the dugout just kind of watching, and the emotions that this kid had and the way we made him feel was one of the best memories I’ve ever had.”

With just over three months left in the 2023 Banana Ball World Tour, the Bananas are set to play 36 more games in 17 cities. I have no doubt that they will continue to touch the lives of Banana Nation and create memorable experiences for their fans every game.  

The Savannah Bananas gather for a team huddle before the game kicks off on June 17. (Jenna Daly/Managing Editor)

Jenna Daly (she/her) (25B) is from Windsor Locks, Connecticut and majoring in strategic consulting, real estate and philosophy, politics and law. Outside of the Wheel, Jenna is a member of Emory’s Varsity Cross Country and Track & Field teams. In her free time, she enjoys playing Spikeball, cheering on the Boston Bruins and discovering new restaurants in Atlanta.