Daniel Mayer/Wikimedia Commons

Because April is National Sexual Assault Awareness Month, as the directors of the Department of Title IX (DTIX) and the Office of Respect (Respect), we would like to take the opportunity to ensure that the Emory University community understands the network of support that exists on campus and the different roles the offices within that network play.

DTIX is bound, in large part, by federal regulations. The department’s charge is to stop, prevent and remedy sex and gender-based discrimination and harm. DTIX does that primarily through the Title IX complaint process, which is meant to be an unbiased process for both the complainant and respondent. This means DTIX works with both parties in the same manner, offering resources to the complainant and respondent throughout the entire process. A list of resources and support available 24/7 can be found here.

The distinction between DTIX and Respect highlights the need to increase awareness of Respect, which is a separate office specifically designed to support survivors affected by sexual and relationship harm. Respect offers 24/7 access to specialized counselor advocates with whom students can share their experiences. Respect is no longer designated as a mandatory reporter to Title IX. This change supports a validating, survivor-led journey that empowers students to engage in crisis response, advocacy, counseling and education, which may or may not include engaging in the Title IX process.

DTIX and Respect have continued to listen and meet with students to understand their concerns. We are working collaboratively with students and with one another to determine how the offices can best support students and increase transparency with and visibility in the community.

DTIX is hiring additional staff to process complaints in a more timely fashion, and Respect is hiring additional staff to provide more extensive support for students and to expand our campus education programs centered on sexual and relationship harm prevention.

Additionally, DTIX, in collaboration with Respect, is forming a Student Advisory Committee, launching fall 2023, to maintain open lines of communication related to DTIX with Emory students.

As we move through April, there will be many opportunities for students to connect with both offices. DTIX is participating in events with the Center for Women on April 19 and the Office of LGBT Life on April 24, and Respect will host an open house on April 19 and a survivor support training on April 20. Join Respect at Wonderful Wednesdays for engaging opportunities, including Denim Day on April 26.

DTIX and Respect are committed to collaborating to center the needs of our community and to continue to build a Culture of Respect on campus.

If you suspect you have experienced sexual assault, are experiencing relationship violence or are interested in engaging in community advocacy related to sexual and relationship violence, please contact the Office of Respect at respect@emory.edu.

Nicole Babcock is the Director of the Department of Title IX and University Title IX Coordinator. Dr. Emily T. Palmieri is the Director of the Office of Respect.