To the Emory community,

The Emory Wheel has experienced an influx in guest submissions since the Oct. 7 outbreak of conflict in Israel and the Gaza Strip. The Wheel has published eight open letters since early October, the largest quantity of this type of guest submission over a short timespan in recent years. 

The Wheel lacked public and up-to-date guidelines on what constitutes a guest Op-Ed, open letter and Letter to the Editor. These unclear guidelines have made it difficult for community members hoping to publish a guest article in our paper. Therefore, we have updated our website with our expectations and standards for what each submission entails to make our policies more clear moving forward. 

The Wheel encourages people of all backgrounds and perspectives to share their opinions with us. Once submitted, our editors reserve the right to edit for clarity, length, style and accuracy. Our updated guidelines can be found below. Additionally, they are linked here on our website. 

All Op-Eds, which are pieces of opinionated commentary relevant to the Emory community, should be submitted in a Google Doc to the opinion editors for consideration.

Submissions reflect the opinions of individual writers, whose names must be verified and will be published with the piece they write, along with any pertinent Emory affiliation. Op-Eds may be written on a subject of the author’s choice but must be grounded in fact. Please limit Op-Eds to 700 words.

Letters to the Editor may be written to the editors of the Wheel as responses to specific articles or Op-Eds and should be limited to 300 words. These letters should be addressed to the Emory community and not any one person. Submissions that are written anonymously or have been published already will not be accepted.

The Wheel also welcomes open letters. These letters make a statement that wouldn’t be adequately expressed by an Op-Ed, are signed by a significant number of Emory community members, including students, faculty, staff and alumni, and should be addressed to a party other than the Wheel, typically a public figure or group at Emory. As with Letters to the Editor, open letters should be limited to 300 words.

If you have any questions or concerns about these updates, please contact us at emorywheelexec.com. 

Sincerely,

Matthew Chupack & Sarah Davis, Editors-in-Chief

Editor-in-Chief | Matthew Chupack (he/him, 24C) is from Northbrook, Illinois, majoring in sociology & religion and minoring in community building & social change on a pre-law track. Outside of the Wheel, Chupack serves on the Emory College Honor Council, is vice president of Behind the Glass: Immigration Reflections, Treasurer of Omicron Delta Kappa leadership honor society and an RA in Dobbs Hall. In his free time, he enjoys trying new restaurants around Atlanta, catching up on pop culture news and listening to country music.

Sarah Davis (22Ox, 24C) is a co-Editor-in-Chief of the Wheel. Previously, she interned with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, The Covington News and Austin Monthly Magazine. In her free time, you can find her exploring new running trails and coffee shops around the city.