(Photo Manipulation by Ari Segal)

Moving on is not easy. Moving on from a widely successful and acclaimed band that you created and then watched fall apart is even harder. Kevin Abstract grapples with exactly that on his newest album, “Blanket.”

Blanket” was released on Nov. 3 as Abstract’s fourth solo record, following “MTV1987” (2014), “American Boyfriend: A Suburban Love Story” (2016) and “ARIZONA BABY” (2019). The album features production from the artist’s longtime collaborator, Romil Hemnani.

This record is Abstract’s first solo album since the indefinite hiatus of his genre-spanning group BROCKHAMPTON. He formed the band in 2010 when he met fellow members through an online music discussion board called “Kanye To The,” a site for Kanye West fans to gather and discuss music.

BROCKHAMPTON thrived on the interplay between its members. Between Dom McLennon’s lyrically dense rapping, Merlyn Wood’s entertaining ad-libs and Joba’s smooth singing, something new to hear always lies within a BROCKHAMPTON song. New ideas and fun iterations on rap and R&B music filled every album to the brim. 

In the years since their formation, BROCKHAMPTON had redefined what it meant to be a “boy band,” released nine studio albums and went through quite a bit of turmoil. They kicked out member Ameer Vann in 2018 due to abuse allegations and abruptly broke up in 2022 after releasing two albums, “The Family” and “TM.”

Abstract uses “Blanket” as an attempt to move forward after BROCKHAMPTON, often by looking toward the past. The album focuses on themes of childhood wonder, nightmares and everything in between.

On the opening track, “When The Rope Post 2 Break,” Abstract sings in whispers about the power of blankets; they are a way to protect people from their worst fears.

“Something scary’s / Sneaking above us / Just trust me,” he whispers on the second verse. “You don’t gotta look / Grab the blanket / Pull it over / No need to risk it / Let’s just stay put.”

Abstract does not want to remain in the past, though. He seemingly wants to escape it and become a new version of himself.

“I go, I won’t take no time for no one / Let go, this version of me / This version of me-e-e,” he sings on the song “Running Out.”

The artist’s drive to move forward also manifests itself in the album’s tone, which stands in stark contrast to his previous albums. For the most part, Abstract’s solo albums have focused on bedroom-pop sounds infused with some rap, but on “Blanket,” he focuses more on grunge sounds. Drawing on bands like Modest Mouse and Nirvana, “Blanket’s” title track is a straight-up rock banger. Its driving guitars, hammering drums and screams stand alone in his discography.

While rock is an exciting, uncharted territory for Abstract, he is not completely successful in his new endeavor. Songs like “Running Out” or “What Should I Do?” are certainly listenable, but their guitar-heavy instrumentals and whispering vocals feel derivative of other artists like Alex G.

Some songs really hit the mark, though. “Madonna” is the perfect synthesis of the guitar-driven instrumentals of “Blanket” and pop catchiness that Abstract does best. The BROCKHAMPTON song “SUGAR” (2019) and his solo song “Peach” (2019) are two of Abstract’s most successful, and they have large pop-appeal. “Madonna” feels in line with his catchy past successes while also working within the new lane he has created for himself.

While the song “Voyager” is among the more disappointing tracks on “Blanket,” it feels like the perfect example of what Abstract was going for on this record. The song’s  distorted guitar lead does not totally work, and while it feels a little half-baked, you can tell Abstract put a lot of passion into the track.

In the song’s interlude, Abstract gives us the album’s most concise statement about his emotions.

For the first time I feel myself growing older / Yeah, hey / P told me that’s a breakthrough.”

Growing up is messy, and so is “Blanket.” It’s full of lessons learned, memories of the past and a view of the future.

Alex Gerson (he/him) (27C) is from Bethesda, Maryland. Outside of the Wheel, he's a member of eTV and hosts "Discography Discoveries" on WMRE. In his free time, Alex is probably watching TV and movies, listening to music or following the Washington Nationals.