Emory University Senate members asked University President Gregory Fenves questions about the April 25 pro-Palestine encampment and arrests, as well as the subsequent protests, during an emergency Senate meeting yesterday morning. At the meeting, Fenves said that while Emory’s Respect for Open Expression Policy allows for opportunities to protest, the encampment was “severely disruptive.” 

Fenves explained that on the morning of April 25, he communicated with Emory Police Department (EPD) Deputy Chief Timothy Powers and University Vice President for Public Safety Cheryl Elliott, who told him about demonstrators building an encampment on the Quadrangle. He said EPD was on the Quad when the encampment began shortly after 7:30 a.m. because the police department was at a “higher state of readiness.” However, protestors refused to answer questions from EPD, including if they were associated with Emory, as they set up the encampment, Fenves said.

The president said that while he decided to not allow the encampment on the Quad, EPD decided to call the Atlanta Police Department (APD) for assistance to end the protest under established protocol.

However, Fenves said EPD did not call the Georgia State Police (GSP), and University administration is still trying to determine who called GSP on the morning of the encampment. However, he added that EPD did call GSP the second time on April 25 because a portion of the protest became “violent” later in the day. 

University President Gregory Fenves answered questions from Emory University Senate members on May 1. (Spencer Friedland/Managing Editor)

Additionally, Fenves said he called University Senate President and Professor of Law George Shepherd to discuss the situation on April 25 and his intention to end the encampment. 

Fenves also directed Senior Vice President and Dean of Campus Life Enku Gelaye to speak with Senate Committee for Open Expression Chair and Samuel Candler Dobbs Professor of Physics Ilya Nemenman. Under article 8.24.7.3 of the University’s open expression policy, the committee chair “must be consulted and must have advised of all alternatives to support continuation” of a protest before termination. The chair also must agree to arrests, according to Nemenman.

However, Fenves said he did not wait for Nemenman’s response before moving to terminate the protest because he did not feel that the campus was safe. 

“I was very concerned about the safety of everybody and this growing over time and making it an even more difficult situation,” Fenves said.

Department of Philosophy Chair and Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences Noëlle McAfee, whom police detained on April 25, said the decision to call APD led to “mayhem” and “violence” against students, adding that the consequences have been “enormous” for Emory. 

McAfee also said that Fenves should speak with protestors instead of calling the police on them.

“My recommendation to those who are thinking about dismantling is that they actually — forgive me if this sounds disrespectful — they go to REI and get a tent and go take it to the Quad and sit down,” McAfee said.

In response to a question from former Graduate Student Government Association President Neeti Patel (24PH), Fenves said that he has not met with student protestors to hear their demands since April 25 but had met with them previously. 

Fenves also stated that he cannot disclose if Emory will discipline students for their roles in the protests on April 25. Emory’s Office of Student Conduct will look into each situation, according to the president.

Senate members also questioned Fenves on the spray-painted graffiti found around the Atlanta campus last week. Fenves, who condemned the graffiti as antisemitic, said Emory has not identified the people responsible for the spray painting.

Spencer Friedland (26C) is from Long Island, New York and is the Emory Wheel's Managing News Editor. He is a Philosophy, Politics and Law major and has a secondary major in Film. Spencer is also a part of the Franklin Fellows program at Emory.