Emory University named Ashley Brown as associate dean of students, making her the first person in the University’s history to hold the position, according to a Thursday press release. Brown, who will assume her new role on Feb. 1, will oversee Emory’s Belonging and Community Justice (BCJ) office, lead the development of BCJ’s identity spaces and help foster engagement with the University as a whole.

In her new role, Brown will work with Dean of Students and Associate Vice President for Belonging, Engagement and Community Kristina Bethea Odejimi to help foster student development and graduation success at Emory.

Ashley Brown will begin her role as associate dean of students on Feb. 1. Courtesy of Emory University

Brown previously served as Vanderbilt University’s (Tenn.) senior director for equity, diversity and inclusion, overseeing their Student Center for Social Justice and Identity. She also created Vanderbilt’s IgniteVU education program, which is dedicated to improving intercultural awareness among students involved in Greek life.

After graduating from Bowling Green State University (Ohio) with a master’s degree in college student personnel, Brown received her Doctor of Education in student affairs leadership from the University of Georgia in 2021.

Odejimi said in the Thursday press release that Brown is “a great fit” for the new role.

“She brings a profound understanding of, and sensitivity to, the complexities that our undergraduate, graduate and professional students encounter in their daily lives,” Odejimi wrote.

Brown noted that she was “thrilled” to be joining Emory. “As a restorative practitioner, I’m deeply committed to co-creating a vibrant, polycultural community of students who are empowered to be their full, authentic selves while remaining grounded in values of cultural humility and fostering socially just practices,” Brown said in the press release. “The fact I get to be a part of something new and groundbreaking at Emory is incredibly exciting.”

Correction (1/24/2024, 12:19 p.m.) An earlier version of this article stated that Brown will help oversee the Belonging and Community Council, which is incorrect. The article was updated to reflect this.

Jack Rutherford (27C) is a News Editor at the Emory Wheel. He is from Louisville, Kentucky, majoring in Economics on a pre-law track. When not writing for the Wheel, he can normally be found with the Emory Rowing team or at a Schwartz Center performance. In his free time, Rutherford enjoys listening to classical music or opera, or is out walking in Lullwater.