Atlanta is famous for many things. In addition to a rich musical history and pioneering civil rights movement, the city is also home to many professional sports teams. Atlanta has professional franchises for five major sports: Major League Soccer (MLS), the WNBA, the NBA, Major League Baseball, and the NFL. Each of the city’s teams has a long history and remarkable stadium that make Atlanta a haven for sports lovers. Below, we look at the top teams that embody sports in Atlanta.

Atlanta Braves

The Atlanta Braves are Atlanta’s professional baseball team. Initially formed in 1871, the team came to Atlanta in 1966 and has played there ever since. Its long history makes the Braves the only major league team in existence today to have participated in all MLB seasons since 1869. The team has enjoyed remarkable membership, with pioneering players like Hank Aaron and talented pitcher Tom Glavine. Thanks to their 2021 win, the Braves have won four World Series competitions.

Atlanta Hawks

The Atlanta Hawks are who you look to when you want to enjoy basketball action in Atlanta. The team competes in the NBA as part of the Eastern Conference and is home to notable names like Joe Johnson, Dominique Wilkins, and Lou Hudson. Formed in 1948, the Hawks only started playing for Georgia in 1970. They have made it to the finals four times and won the championship once. But despite their long NBA drought, the Atlanta Hawks have one of the most exciting betting profiles in the NBA. The team’s games draw punters from across the country to www.thesportsgeek.com/online-casinos/georgia/ and top betting platforms. Atlanta residents are always eager to see the Hawks in action.

Atlanta Falcons

Formed in 1965, the Atlanta Falcons were initially established as an NFL expansion team. The successful club boasts names like Matt Ryan, Roddy White, and Dion Sanders. Over the years, the Falcons have played in the Super Bowl twice, in 1998 and 2017. Their seasons have been marred by injuries lately, forcing them to miss out on the playoffs in 2018, but the team has been rebounding steadily. 

Atlanta United FC

Soccer in the United States is yet to reach the prominent levels the sport enjoys in Europe. However, the MLS is gaining speed in the county, and Atlanta is part of the movement. The city is home to Atlanta United FC, whose color scheme, logo, and name were chosen by fans. Debuting in 2014, the team has regularly sold-out home matches and won the MLS Cup in 2018.

Atlanta Dream

Named after the famous speech by Martin Luther King Jr., the Atlanta Dream is a women’s basketball team that competes in the WNBA. The team was founded and funded by two businesswomen from Atlanta and has been active for 13 years. It has qualified for the playoffs 8 times, reaching the WNBA finals on three occasions. 

Wrapping Up

Atlanta has a rich sporting history, which includes housing Bobby Dodd Stadium – the oldest on-campus NCAA football stadium in the country. In addition to a lucrative professional sports scene, the city also boasts a bustling collegiate sports sector. Atlanta even has professional teams in the Major League Rugby, North American Rugby League, and National Lacrosse League. And while not all the teams bring home championships every year, they do make Atlanta the ultimate sporting destination.