(Ha-tien Nguyen/Podcast Editor)

With midterm season over the horizon yet out of reach, many of us may feel bogged down with classes and mounting homework. Emory University’s art scene is nonetheless in full swing, bustling with concerts, lectures and more. Be sure to step back from studying to take time for yourself by appreciating campus arts.

All events are free and open to the public unless specified otherwise.

Chanticleer Concert: Music of a Silent World

Date: Oct. 5, 8 p.m.

Location: Cherry Logan Emerson Concert Hall

Cost: $10 (Emory students) | $43 (Emory faculty and staff) | $50 (non-Emory-affiliated)

Chanticleer, a Grammy-Award-winning male chorus, is bringing classical jazz and pop music to the Schwartz Center for the Performing Arts. This concert centers around the natural beauty of the Sierra Nevada as rendered by Majel Connery’s song cycle “The Rivers Are Our Brothers” (2022). The Chanticleer concert will also include arrangements from Hoagy Carmichael, Peter Gabriel, Joni Mitchell and more.

Constructing an Image: A Conversation with Atlanta Latinx Photographers

Date: Oct. 12, 7:30 – 8:30 p.m.

Location: Michael C. Carlos Museum | Ackerman Hall

Join Atlanta-based photographers Victoria García and José Ibarra Rizo for a conversation about Latinx photography and creativity in the United States South at the end of Hispanic Heritage Month. Iliana Yamileth Rodriguez, assistant history professor and Latinx historian, will moderate the conversation. From 6 to 7:30 p.m., the Carlos Museum galleries, including “You Belong Here: Place, People and Purpose in Latinx Photography,” will be open for viewing. Registration is required prior to the event.

Atlanta Master Chorale: The Sky’s the LiOmit

Date: Oct. 13- 8 p.m.

Cost: $10 (Emory students) | $35 (Emory faculty and staff) $38 (Non-Emory-affiliated)

The Atlanta Master Chorale, a diverse array of singers from metropolitan Atlanta, will perform their new program “The Sky’s the Limit” here at Emory. This program draws on childlike wonder to create a whimsical performance inspired by all the world has to offer. It aims to remind audiences that “the sky’s the limit” in chasing our dreams, according to the digital event flier.

Talk: Hip Hop Heresies, Queer Aesthetics in New York City

Date: Oct. 16, 12 – 1:30 p.m.

Location: Robert W. Woodruff Library | Joseph W. Jones Room

This entry in the Race and Difference Colloquium Series features Shanté Paradigm Smalls, associate professor of Black studies at St. John’s University (N.Y.). In this talk, Smalls will explore New York City as a site of “vibrant” queer culture and how products of hip-hop culture from the 1970s to the modern day reflect queer ideas of race, gender and sexuality. 

“WINN” film screening, Q&A

Date: Oct. 16, 7 – 8 p.m.

Location: Humanities Hall | Oxford College

WINN” (2022) explores Pamela Winn’s traumatic experience of pregnancy during incarceration and later anti-incarceration activism. Atlanta-based filmmaker Joseph East collaborated with director Erica Tanamachi to create a powerful, short documentary that went on to win the Reel South SHORT award. This event will include a screening of “WINN” followed by a Q&A with the film’s titular subject.

Timothy Miller recital

Date: Oct. 17, 7:30 – 8:30 p.m.

Location: Williams Hall Auditorium | Oxford College

Assistant Professor of Voice and Music at Morehouse College (Ga.) Timothy Miller will give a tenor vocal performance at this event, which is hosted by the Emory Chamber Music Society of Atlanta. Miller has an extensive history of both international and local vocal performance, including Operas, symphonies and the Atlanta Braves games. Join him for an evening of classical music on the Oxford campus.

Alexandra Kauffman (26C) is an English & Creative Writing major from Phoenix, Arizona. At the Wheel, she is an Emory Life section editor and Arts & Entertainment campus desk. Outside of the wheel, she is a member of Alloy Literary Magazine. She is also a science fiction enthusiast and enjoyer of the bizarre.