Ha-Tien Nguyen/Podcast Editor

Diverse performances, exhibitions and more fill the campus event calendar in upcoming weeks. From a theater production of Valerie Solanas’ “Up Your Ass” to an open mic night hosted by the creative writing department to the public art installation “Praise House Project: Standing on Hallowed Grounds,” here’s a glimpse of the upcoming arts scene at Emory University. All events are free. 

“At the Crossroads” exhibition

Date: Oct. 16 – May 18, 2024

Location: Robert W. Woodruff Library Level 3

Emory’s Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives and Rare Book Library presents a new exhibit featuring Benny Andrews, Flannery O’Connor and Alice Walker. All three artists grew up in Georgia, and “At the Crossroads” examines how their lives and works have overlapped geographically, chronologically and thematically. This exhibit presents archival photos, letters, manuscripts, artwork and other items from each artist.

“Praise House Project: Standing on Hallowed Grounds

Date: Oct. 20 – Dec. 15

Location: Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church

Charmaine Minniefield, a former Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives and Rare Book Library artist-in-residence, curated the “Praise House Project,” a public installation of African and African-American artwork. Minniefield received the National Endowment for the Arts “Our Town” Grant for this project, allowing her to present three “Praise House Project” installations throughout Atlanta. The project, in addition to her previous work, explores themes of African and Indigenous identity and tradition.

Moving Still: A Night of Dance

Date: Nov. 2, 7 – 8 p.m.

Location: Michael C. Carlos Museum | Ackerman Hall

Offered in conjunction with the “You Belong Here: Place, People, and Purpose in Latinx Photography” exhibit, this event will feature a performance in the Carlos galleries. Emory Dance Company students and Julio Medina (13C), assistant professor in the dance and movement studies program, will perform a choreographed reflection of the exhibit and Medina’s Chicano identity. This event requires registration.

“Up Your Ass” theater production

Date: Nov. 3 at 6 p.m., Nov. 4 at 6 p.m., Nov. 5 at 1 p.m.

Location: Alumni Memorial University Center | Harland Cinema

Up Your Ass” (1965) is a play by Valerie Solanas, a radical feminist and artist known for her divisive “S.C.U.M,, Society for Cutting Up Men, manifesto” (1968). “Up Your Ass” shares many of the same social concerns as the manifesto but takes the form of a satirical, irreverent play criticizing the patriarchy. Emory’s production of “Up Your Ass” is one of the few performances of the play.

Student Studio: Mug Making

Date: Nov. 10, 1 – 4 p.m.

Location: Michael C. Carlos Museum | Tate Room

Student Studio offers Emory students a chance to relax and create art. Participants will have the opportunity to create mugs inspired by two Greek artworks in the Carlos’ permanent Greek and Roman Art collection: the bronze Kalathos (4th century BCE) and the Sub-Mycenaean Mug (1000 BCE). Ceramic artist Ana Vizurraga will help students make their own clay creations with provided materials.

Open Mic Night

Date: Nov. 10, 6 – 8 p.m.

Location: Psychology and Interdisciplinary Sciences Building | Room 290

Hosted by Emory’s creative writing department, this open mic night gives students an opportunity to share their original poems, prose, playwriting excerpts, songs and more. In addition to student readings, this year’s open mic will feature a raffle with prizes, including a fuzzy blanket, a notebook, a Toblerone chocolate bar and a mug.

“Blood Wedding” theater production

Date: Nov. 9 at 7:30 p.m. – Nov. 19 at 2 p.m.

Location: Alumni Memorial University Center | Mary Gray Munroe Theater

Theater Emory will perform “Blood Wedding,” a play written by Spanish poet and playwright Federico García Lorca. The script follows a young woman in a patriarchal society as two men fight for her love. Exploring themes of time, choice, love and fate, this play will take viewers on an emotional journey.

Emory Stop Cop City fundraising concert and teach-in

Date: Nov. 10, 6:30 – 10:30 p.m.

Location: ask organizers

Emory Musician’s Network is combining art with activism in their upcoming fundraising event in partnership with Emory Stop Cop City (ESCC). ESCC is a chapter of the larger national movement “Stop Cop City,” in which Emory Students work in solidarity with activists to oppose the construction of the Atlanta Public Safety Training Center. Emory student bands and artists will perform to raise awareness for various Stop Cop City organizations, including Community Movement Builders, Cop City Vote and Atlanta Solidarity Fund.

Alexandra Kauffman (26C) is an English & Creative Writing major from Phoenix, Arizona. At the Wheel, she is an Emory Life section editor and Arts & Entertainment campus desk. Outside of the wheel, she is a member of Alloy Literary Magazine. She is also a science fiction enthusiast and enjoyer of the bizarre.