2022 Elections Guide

The Emory Wheel asked each candidate for SGA President & Vice President, College Council President & Vice President and BBA Council President to submit a 150-word platform.

Elections will be held from March 22 at 12 p.m. to March 25 at 12 p.m. Runoff elections will be held from March 28 at 12 p.m. to March 29 at 12 p.m. if necessary.

Campaigning may be digital and in person this year. Email emoryelections@gmail.com with any questions or concerns.

As of March 17, Elisabet Ortiz (24C) has been disqualified from running for SGA president. Follow the updates on this page and Wheel news coverage.

SGA President

Alyssa Stegall

Alyssa Stegall

Hello! I’m Alyssa Stegall (she/her) – and I’m excited to run for President of Emory’s Student Government Association. I’ve served time in student government as SGA Speaker, College Council’s Oxford Continuee Legislator, and Oxford SGA’s Oxford-Atlanta Liaison. I hope to serve our community next year alongside my running-mate Noah Marchuck.

We recognize that Emory isn’t perfect — that’s why our platform (Represent, Restructure, Reinvigorate) focuses on enhancing your student experience through three main points. First, we want to proactively ensure students from all backgrounds are represented in university-wide discussions through inclusive leadership. We also want to restructure the focus of student government away from elitism, and towards a culture of working together with various student organizations. Lastly, we want to emphasize reinvigorating school spirit by increasing Oxford inclusion as well as emphasizing the celebration of student arts and athletics. Please check out our platform and ask any questions at stegallmarchuck4sga.com.

Elisabet Ortiz

Elisabet Ortiz

My name is Elisabet Ortiz and I’m running to be your SGA President. My biggest project while at Emory has been creating Students for Students (SFS) – a nonprofit focused on making college more equitable for minority and low-income students. I founded SFS because of my experience with homelessness, food insecurity, and a lack of healthcare on campus. I repeatedly appealed to Emory resources, yet the only way I was able to survive was through acts of kindness from students and their families. My story is the product of larger systemic issues in our university. Because of these very experiences, I am running to initiate change on the following platforms: Equity, Sustainability, Community, Academics, Accessibility, and Safety & Wellness. For long-term structural changes, we need reform. SGA is a part of that reform. As SGA President, I will continue the work I have started with ESFS and make an Emory for Everyone.

Eleanor Liu

Eleanor Liu

Hi Emory! My name is Eleanor Liu (she/her) and I’m campaigning to serve as your 56th Emory Student Government Association President. During my time at Emory, I’ve had the privilege of working with diverse student, faculty, and administration groups to create real change in improving the student experiences. I have previously served as Oxford SGA President and currently serve as Emory SGA VP of Finance. With my campaign, I have chosen to take on fairly simple platforms without flashy promises. I believe in action items over lofty goals. With my passion, drive, and institutional knowledge, I hope to be more than just an advocate, but a problem solver who brings positive contributions to the Emory community. I hope you will follow me along at liu22.org to learn more about my who, what, and why. Let’s stand by what is good and make it better if we can, together!

SGA Vice President

Noah Marchuck

Noah Marchuck

Hey! I’m Noah Marchuck (he/him) and I’m thrilled to announce that I am running for Emory’s Student Government Association Vice President! With two years of legislative experience and initiatives under my belt, I am prepared to hopefully serve Emory alongside Alyssa Stegall.

Emory has the potential to live up to the hype, and there’s certainly room for improvement. That’s why Alyssa and I are proposing a three-tiered platform to strengthen our time here. First, we will work tirelessly to ensure students of all backgrounds are better represented. It is our top priority that everyone can trust leadership to include its students in university-wide discourse. We plan to restructure how SGA communicates with students to establish a stronger connection between them. And we want to reinvigorate our spirit by improving advocacy for the arts and our peer’s works. Take a look at our platform and reach out with any questions!

College Council President

Akshat Toshniwal

Akshat Toshniwal

Hi, I’m Akshat! I am a third-year student at Emory College from Bangalore, India. I am passionate about redefining the student experience at Emory through concrete, actionable steps to promote advocacy, connectivity, and accountability.

Over the last three years in College Council, I have listened to student concerns, needs, and ideas associated with our systems to gain a deeper understanding of how College Council can do better. This student feedback has formed the foundation of my platform. As President, I hope to leverage this institutional experience to enhance your time at Emory! The key tenets of my platform include addressing finance & budgeting, connectivity & collaboration, accountability & transparency, and diversity & inclusion. Further developing these areas as your President would ensure that I directly address larger issues within Emory University.

I would love to hear your thoughts, ideas, or suggestions on how I can serve you best at: https://tinyurl.com/feedback4akshat.

College Council Vice President

Neha Murthy

Neha Murthy

Hi everyone! My name is Neha Murthy (she/her). I am a second-year who spent all of freshman year from home. As any first-year student, I wanted to belong to the Emory community. In using the HUB, I quickly realised the lack of standardisation and communication. My frustrations with the current systems only grew as I started my own club, Swara, last semester. In going through the chartering process, I discovered its dysfunctionality. Hence, I joined College Council and am currently serving as your VP of Organization Management. Thus far, one of the things I have accomplished is improving the onboarding course for new clubs. In speaking with you all, I have heard your complaints that as students and club leaders you lack adequate resources and support for creating that community at Emory. Join me as I work to increase student accessibility to resources and keep College Council accountable for our work.

BBA Council President

Dani Nakash

Dani Nakash

Hi, my name is Dani Nakash and I’m running for BBA Council President. I currently serve as one of two Junior Representatives on BBA Council and have represented Goizueta’s class of 2023 in meetings and events. As I look towards this next chapter, I am ready to continue representing the wide array of BBA students and the Goizueta education in its academic, extra-curricular, and community facets. In everything I do, I will lead with the following principles. Firstly, inclusion. With the recent admission of transfer students into Goizueta, there is a need now more than ever to focus on inclusion between transfer students, fall and spring admits, Oxford continuees, and international students. Next, transparency. In both the direction of BBA council to Goizueta students, and also in the opposite direction from students to BBA council, I will work towards creating a Goizueta that all students are proud of.

Natalie Spitzer

Natalie Spitzer

Hello! My name is Natalie Spitzer, and I’m running for President of BBA Council! I have spent the past year serving on BBA Council as Junior Representative. While learning about all the responsibilities of council officers I’ve served as a resource to better the BBA experience through programing events and advocacy outlets. I hope to use my experience and dedication to BBA Council and Goizueta in implementing my key initiatives. My initiatives have stemmed from the Goizueta creed: Scholarship, Community, and Respect. I hope to embody these values through enhancing the BBA pursuit of academic curiosity and excellence, generating new opportunities to engage with the community while fostering a sense of belonging for all, and ensuring all community members are treated with equity. I hope to continue my service to Goizueta as your BBA Council President. I’m very excited to share my platform with you! (Learn more at: linktr.ee/NSforBBAPresident)

Candidate platforms compiled by Brammhi Balarajan. Webpage designed by Cailen Chinn and Sophia Ling.