The fisherman’s equipment, or rather its quantity, can greatly amaze the imagination, but it is precisely because of its presence that fishing is comfortable and convenient. One of the most practical and essential is a fishing vest, which will perform practical functions and ensure optimal body temperature.

Main Types

Oddly enough, turkey vests are divided according to certain weather conditions, so when choosing, you need to focus on the specific conditions in which it will be used. It is essential because if you choose the wrong one, it will not retain heat and provide warmth in the colder seasons and will be too hot in summer weather. As for special gear compartments, most fishing vests have them, so you don’t have to worry about them.

Fishing vests are divided according to seasonality, for example:

• Summer option: The basis of such vests is made of mesh material, so they will not be hot. The tackle compartments are made of dense material so that tackle can be securely stored and used when it is directly needed. Overall, it looks like a very comfortable bag.
  • Off-season option (spring/autumn) – as you can understand, the vest is made of denser material in addition to the corresponding gear compartments. It has some insulation because wearing many clothes when fishing is not always convenient. What is most convenient is that their length varies, due to which it will be possible to wade fishing conveniently. Often, such models have a shortened size since wearing clothes under this look is more manageable. Typically, spinning enthusiasts use universal vests.
  • Winter option — such vests, as a rule, contain quite a few compartments for gear compared to the summer option, but they are much warmer. More importantly, they are comfortable and will not hamper movement. They are optimal when there is active fishing in the cold season so that if a fisherman falls into the water, he can get out of it. The downside is that they have practically no pockets — only hand compartments. Typically, this type is worn as underwear to maintain warmth.
  • There is also a type of protective fishing vest. It is needed if fishing takes place on a boat or boat. Such a vest is provided for storing items, but it is an additional function, but not the main one. Vests of this type can be used for fishing, rafting, and tourism. Thanks to them, falling into deep water will be completely safe. Storing items is entirely possible but will be more of an auxiliary function. Sometimes, it is abandoned altogether for the sake of the highest protective qualities. The vast majority of life jackets are of the inflatable type (strictly speaking, this is a self-inflating option; the air is filled automatically upon contact with water).

As a rule, such vests are made of special materials that allow water to pass through perfectly but can also protect from wind and retain heat if necessary. The gear itself cannot be damaged. If the material does not inspire confidence when choosing, then you should look for something else.

Selection Criteria

What you should pay special attention to:

• Such a vest must have a completely waterproof pocket where you can store gadgets and other things that should not be damaged by moisture. Even if it is, it is still recommended that the equipment be protected additionally.
  • When choosing, you should consider the size of the tackle compartments (pockets) so that both the tackle and the boxes in which it is stored can fit freely there. It is essential because if the size is not suitable, you will either have to change the tackle boxes, or the vest itself will lose most of its practicality.
  • Fasteners (zippers or Velcro) should open and close without jamming or problems. Moreover, it should be comfortable to do so with one hand.

You will have to rely on your tastes and requirements for the rest.

Is Brand Important

Even identical models from different brands can differ significantly in cost. Therefore, the question arises of whether paying attention to the manufacturer is necessary or if this is a waste of money. Of course, it cannot be said that evil capitalists are trying to profit from poor fishermen. Often, well-known companies guarantee high quality and long service life, while a cheap analog from an unknown company can quickly fail. However, the price difference is not always significant. For example, TideWe offers excellent quality turkey vests at reasonable prices.

Additional Tips

The most essential qualities of a vest are its functional qualities. Pockets are the main element of an unloading vest. Inside, they can hide nozzles, lures, sinkers, boat accessories, fishing rod elements, and other things most necessary for fishing. You can follow several tips to choose a vest successfully and wear it with pleasure.

• You should pay attention to the number and presence of pockets. A moisture-proof pocket for a phone, walkie-talkie, or navigator should exist.
  • Pockets should have zippers and, in principle, open and close well.
  • The product’s material must be of high quality and moisture-repellent, and the seam must be as excellent as possible.
  • The vest should be selected according to your size and dimensions so that it is neither small nor large.

You should also consider the conditions under which the vest will be worn – weather conditions, for example, for warmer times, it is better not to take a vest without a mesh on the back because you can easily sweat in such a vest.

Conclusion

A turkey vest is a piece of clothing for a fisherman or hunter that helps him in fishing. The leading quality of a vest is heat retention; it should keep the owner warm in rainy and windy weather. Another feature of the fishing vest is a large number of pockets, which are designed to unload the fisherman’s hands and backpack. That is, all important items and things will be placed in the pockets. There is another advantage to this – quick access to things. Thanks to the tips in this article, you can easily choose the optimal model for yourself.