Friday the 13th — an ominous day, you might be thinking. In a way you’re right, but, to me, Friday the 13th was special; it was senior skip day and the day before my senior prom, which was on Pi Day. What went from being a special and memorable day became a forever farewell. I never walked the halls again or said goodbye to my teachers. Senior skip day became senior skip year. While I was among the fortunate few to experience senior prom and have a makeshift graduation ceremony on my high school’s football field, I know my high school graduating class, the Class of 2020, has faced immense loss of special moments. We have faced moments in our lives in which everything was instantaneously uprooted. 

I remember the utter feeling of disappointment as my friends from high school went in-person to public universities like the Georgia Institute of Technology, University of Georgia, University of South Carolina and the lot while I was stuck at home, attending Emory University virtually. In addition, those who I was supposed to be creating new memories with were virtually suspended through time and space. I was standing there with one foot in high school and one in college, neither here nor there. I craved something I couldn’t tangibly have at that time; I was grasping for my community.

Although I made the choice to stay at home for that year, I have watched the incoming first-year classes come after me, and I find myself getting more and more envious of the experiences they are able to create and cherish. Even if I came that first year, deep down I know that I wouldn’t have had any experience remotely similar to theirs: no late nights with a roommate, no eating at the Dobbs Common Table and no bonding with upperclassmen. Nonetheless, it doesn’t diminish the fact that I have this unquenched desire for community building. 

Courtesy of Vivin Sudharsan

We can sit and blame the COVID-19 pandemic for hindering us in our journeys. Instead, I say we look toward the silver lining. Reflect on what this time did for you and see if you found your larger purpose or passion. 

Virtual schooling was a blessing in disguise for me. Second semester of my freshman year, I traveled to India to spend time with my paternal “thatha,” or grandfather, during his last days. Through the flexibility of virtual schooling, I was able to make this trip. Even I was able to find a silver lining in the midst of a devastating pandemic and my first-world problems.

All our experiences shape who we are at our core. Given mine these past four years, I am filled with extreme gratitude as I reminisce on the past three years on campus. I am especially grateful for the people who have shaped me into who I am today — the list is simply endless. I have realized that it is the people at Emory who truly shape this institution. There are so many people whom I need to thank for noticing my leadership qualities from day one and who have always been my staunch supporters. Crafting this reflection has inspired me to write each one of them a letter before I leave. I extend a sincere thank you to each and every one of you I have met during these past few years. I am so grateful for who you have shaped me to be.

If there is a single lesson I have learned at Emory, it is the value of community. I always want to prioritize those near and dear to me. In this spirit of community, I am excited to say that I am turning my dream into a reality. This past November, something dawned on me. I was getting ready to transition out of my role in College Council after giving three years of my time and energy serving the students of the Emory College of Arts and Sciences, and I wanted one last hurrah, something fun for us, as the high school Class of 2020, to enjoy.

Since then, along with a couple other dedicated friends, and many other campus organizations, I have been working on a very special event — one that has been kept a secret for months. It has been so rewarding to start a new tradition at Emory: an annual senior formal. I hope that future years are also able to carry on this tradition in the spirit of community, unifying undergraduates from all three schools, getting all dressed up and cheering for our future as alumni.

Seniors, I hope to see you there very soon. This is a time to celebrate all our accomplishments two-fold — for everything missed out on from high school and everything we deserve from college. Kudos to you, and I wish you all the best in the future. 

Hail the blue and gold!

Neha Murthy (24C) is from Tennessee, Philadelphia, India and most recently, Augusta, Ga. During college, she started her own club, Swara, served as co-president of the Hindu Students Association, has been active in interfaith and spiritual life and served as the elected vice president and then president of College Council for over 5,000 students. After graduation, Murthy plans to work for Emory Healthcare’s Data & AI.