Jan Love, dean of the Candler School of Theology, will serve as the University’s interim provost and executive vice president for academic affairs, according to a University-wide email. She will replace outgoing Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs Dwight McBride, who is leaving Emory in Spring 2020 to serve as president of The New School (N.Y.).

The announcement follows the recent news that McBride and University President Claire E. Sterk will be stepping down from their respective positions. 

Love will continue to serve as the dean of the Candler School of Theology during her tenure as interim provost. Jonathan Strom, associate dean of Faculty and Academic Affairs at the Candler School of Theology, will serve as a senior associate dean to aid Love in her expanded role.

Love has served as the first female dean of the Candler School of Theology since 2007 and previously served on the faculty of the University of South Carolina. She is the secretary of the United Methodist Church’s (UMC) University Senate and represented the UMC on the World Council of Churches from 1975 to 2006.

“[Love] will be a strong academic leader for Emory and a tireless advocate for its mission,” Academic Affairs Committee chairperson Katherine Rohrer stated in the email. 

The search process for a new provost will commence once a new University president is appointed, according to the email. Until then, Love is expected to serve as interim provost for more than a year to facilitate a smooth transition. The Board of Trustees is creating a search advisory committee for the appointment of a new president, according to a Nov. 20 University-wide email from Robert C. Goddard, the chair of the Board of Trustees.

Love will step into her new position effective Dec. 16.

Ninad Kulkarni (he/him) (22C) is from Hyderabad, India, majoring in economics and mathematics. You can catch him cheering for Bayern Munich and making poor attempts at playing sports.