No major issues Halloween weekend

There were several calls to Emory Emergency Medical Services (EEMS) over Halloween weekend, with “students needing medical assistance because they were intoxicated,” Emory Police Department (EPD) Records Manager Ed Shoemaker said. 

EEMS received four calls on Oct. 30. However, EPD received no complaints about loud parties.

EPD attends medical requests with EEMS in case students become combative at the scene and to check if underage students are drinking alcohol.

Shoemaker noted that he wasn’t concerned about the calls to EEMS over Halloween weekend, saying, “It’s an element of many weekends.”

No progress on SPC concert sexual battery, two rape reports

EPD does not have any suspects or witnesses to question for the alleged sexual battery incident at the Oct. 16 Student Programming Council’s Homecoming concert because the battery was reported as an anonymous complaint.

The victim said she was nonconsensually touched by a male student she didn’t know. There has been no progress on this case.

Two instances of rape were also reported at the beginning of November. Shoemaker said he could not comment on these cases because one is still an active case and one is anonymous.

Noticeable increase in theft by taking

There have been 12 instances of theft by taking since Oct. 12, which is defined by Georgia law as when a person unlawfully takes or intends to take something that doesn’t belong to them. 

An example of this, Shoemaker said, occurred when a student left a backpack unattended in the library and came back to find it gone. There is no confrontation in this case.

Shoemaker said he believed that the influx of theft by taking cases is a result of the impending holidays.

Entering an auto at Kaldi’s at the Depot

Between 10 p.m. on Oct. 24 and 12:15 a.m. on Oct. 25, somebody used and parked a car that belonged to someone else.

The driver said she had parked the car in the Kaldi’s at the Depot parking lot and came back, put the car in reverse and heard a crashing sound from the back window. 

EPD found broken glass around the car but recovered no fingerprints.

Arson, animal cruelty, property damage, tresspassing still an active case

On Oct. 25, a case of first-degree arson, criminal damage to property (first degree), aggravated cruelty to animals and criminal trespassing was entered into EPD’s crime log.

Criminal damage to property in the first degree entails property damage in excess of $500 to a residential property. Criminal trespass is entering someone’s property after being told not to.

This case has been cleared by the arrest of Mackienzy Kahl (22C).

Since the case is still active, Shoemaker was unable to comment, instead saying that  “there are steps in preparing that case to go forward” without providing specific dates. 

Kidnapping on campus

There was a kidnapping reported at the Mathematics and Science Center on Nov. 3.

Shoemaker was unable to say anything about the active case, though he confirmed it did not involve a minor.

Kira Barich (she/they) (25C) is from Princeton, New Jersey and is majoring in political science and minoring in women’s, gender and sexuality studies. Outside of the Wheel, Kira is the vice president of inclusion for her sorority Pi Beta Phi. They are a runner and love any opportunity to start a new TV show.