APD called the Georgia Department of Public Safety (DPS) for assistance in ending the April 25 encampment on the Emory University Quadrangle. Georgia State Patrol (GSP), a division of DPS, helped the Emory Police Department (EPD) and APD clear the pro-Palestinian encampment and arrest 28 individuals.

DPS Director of Public Information Capt. Michael Burns confirmed in an email to The Emory Wheel that APD “requested” DPS.

Georgia State Patrol and Emory Police Department enter Emory University Quadrangle on April 25. (Spencer Friedland/ Managing Editor)

Earlier this month, Spikes told the Wheel that APD had not called GSP for assistance on the morning of April 25. Additionally, DPS Public Information Officer Courtney Lund wrote in a May 6 email to the Wheel that EPD put out the call for assistance.

Spikes declined to provide any further information about what caused APD’s account of April 25 to change.

Assistant Vice President of University Communications Laura Diamond did not offer any updated comments on behalf of the University concerning the new information and referred to University President Gregory Fenves’ April 29 message, which stated that Emory was beginning a “thorough review” of the events on April 25.

Fenves said during a University Senate meeting on April 30 that EPD did not call GSP to break up the encampment, but noted that Emory’s department did call APD for assistance. During a May 6 webinar open to the Emory community, Fenves said he still did not know who had called GSP to campus. 

Spencer Friedland (26C) is from Long Island, New York and is the Emory Wheel's Managing News Editor. He is a Philosophy, Politics and Law major and has a secondary major in Film. Spencer is also a part of the Franklin Fellows program at Emory.