The No. 2-ranked Emory women’s tennis team began their 2016 spring season this past weekend, picking up a pair of wins against No. 13-ranked Washington University in St. Louis (Mo.) and No. 12-ranked Sewanee: The University of the South (Tenn.), and a loss against NCAA Division I East Tennessee State University.

The weekend started on Saturday with a match against Washington University at Sewanee. The Eagles defeated the Bears 6-3. Sophomore Bridget Harding won her No. 1 singles 6-3, 7-6 (7-4). Senior Beatrice Rosen gained a victory with a 6-4, 6-0 win in No. 2 singles. Senior Madison Gordon defeated her opponent in No. 4 singles 6-0, 6-2. Junior Melissa Goodman won the No. 5 singles with a 4-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-5) match.

In the doubles, junior Paula Castro and freshman Daniella Moreno-Kaste won 8-6 in the no. 2 doubles. Sophomore Anna Fuhr and her partner, freshman Daniela Lopez, gained the additional doubles point, winning their match 8-3.

Later on Saturday, Emory went against Sewanee, defeating the Tigers 7-2.

In singles action, Emory won the first five sets. Freshman Taylor Cosme earned her 6-3, 6-7 (5) and 7-6 (6) win. Junior Michelle Satterfield won her set 6-3, 6-3, as did Gordon. In the No. 4 singles, Castor defeated her opponent 6-1, 6-2, while Goodman won her straight sets 7-6 (3), 6-2.

In the doubles, Emory picked up two of the three doubles points. Gordon and Goodman defeated their opponents 8-1 in the No. 2 doubles spot and the team of Cosme and senior Stephanie Loutsenko won the No. 3 spot 8-5.

On Sunday, Emory traveled to Division I East Tennessee State, and suffered their first loss of the season with a 6-1 defeat.

“Which division we play doesn’t matter, the results can always be a win,” head coach Amy Bryant said. “It was a close win; it was a winnable match for us.”
Harding fell in the No. 1 singles match, 5-7, 6-2, 6-1. Satterfield lost No. 2 singles 6-1, 6-3. Cosme competed in the no. 3 singles spot, falling 6-1, 2-6, 6-1. Rosen, in the No. 4 match, fell 6-7 (3), 6-1, 10-4, while Fuhr lost 8-6 in the No. 5 match. The single win from Emory came from Lopez, who beat her opponent 8-7 (5) in the no. 6 spot.

East Tennessee picked up their point in doubles, defeating Harding and junior Katerina Su 6-4, and the pair of Castro and Moreno-Kaste 6-1. Lopez and Fuhr tied with their opponents 4-4, but the match went unfinished due to the other doubles’ results.

“Most of our matches went to three sets so we were in there with [East Tennessee],” Gordon said. “It’s really great how Coach Amy incorporated Division I matches into our schedule so we’re able to challenge ourselves and see some other competition.”

With the defeat against East Tennessee, the Eagles drop to 3-1 on the year.

This Wednesday, Emory will take on Georgia Gwinnett College, the top NAIA women’s tennis team in the nation.

“We go into every match with one thing on our mind: the ball in front of us and the moment in front of us.” Bryant said. “We’ve been resting since Sunday after a big trip, but we are prepared for [Georgia Gwinnett]. Everyone’s been contributing and we’re using everything we’ve got.”

Elana Cates is a College junior from San Diego, California, majoring in English and History. She joined the Wheel's Editorial Board her sophomore year as sports editor. In addition to the Wheel, Elana is also a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority and the Student Alumni Board.