The following content is not produced by The Emory Wheel. These classified ads are paid content.

You have lofty dreams of excelling in your future career, but you’re not quite sure how you’ll climb the ladder to get there.

The truth is, everyone’s journey to his or her desired career is different. But many successful professionals have a common rung on their ladders — an externship rung.

Externship participation will help you to figure out what career field is right for you.

Here’s a rundown on why your university should have an externship program.

Let’s get started!

Apply Your Major in the Real World

An externship will help you to comprehend your target career prior to pursuing it.

Maybe you’re not completely sure what you can do with the major you have chosen.

Or maybe you’re simply curious about what your desired profession will be like. An externship will help you to quickly gain the insight you need into this profession.

Commit a Short Amount of Time to Job Site

Internships usually require commitments of two months. However, externships may last a day to a couple of weeks.

The shorter duration of an externship versus an internship will allow you to complete this exploratory work period during a short school break, for example. In fact, you can even complete multiple externships in a short period of time if you wish.

Build Connections Through Your Externship Program

If you can complete an externship at an organization you find interesting, this can give you an edge over your competition.

For instance, if you’re interested in being a pharmacy technician, you can complete training at the Ultimate Medical Academy followed by an internship at a local pharmacy, where you can begin networking with industry professionals.

Even in just two weeks at an internship site, you can build relationships that could help you to land your first true job in your chosen career field. On top of this, you can get a taste of the culture of the company. If you happen to be a great fit for the company, you just may end up landing a full-time job there.

Flesh Out Your Resume

A major benefit of completing an externship is that you can add this experience to your resume.

When future potential employers see an externship on your resume, they’ll view you as a person who’s taken the initiative to plug yourself into your career field early on. And that’s exactly the type of person they’re looking for.

Be sure to list your externship company name, the dates of your externship and a couple of bullet points of skills you gained through the training experience.

How We Can Help

In addition to highlighting the many benefits of an externship program, we offer a number of updates on events related to student life at Emory University.

For example, you can stay abreast of Emory Student Government Association events and decisions, as well as news related to new programs or buildings on campus.

Take a peek here to stay up-to-date on news events and information that will impact you as a student in the months and years ahead.