A lot can change in one summer, and indeed, a lot has changed at Emory. While students were away interning, traveling or doing absolutely nothing, Emory was hard at work reshaping and redeveloping parts of campus.

A lot of effort and funding goes into the types renovations Emory completed over the summer, and while there is still much ongoing construction, these new additions are a welcome site and will be enthusiastically embraced by students. One of the largest improvements that will go widely unnoticed by upperclassmen was the first phase of the Harris Hall renovation. The hall has been given quite the facelift, much to the jealousy of its previous residents.

To bring the new students up to speed: Harris Hall was infamous for its darker-than-normal hallways and rooms, smaller quarters, unidentifiable scents and residents who know how to have a good time. The first stage of the hall’s renovations included all new carpeting, sinks and furniture. It ain’t Hamilton Holmes, but it’s a start. Although the new kids won’t ever truly appreciate these improvements, their SAs and RAs are doing cartwheels down the newly-carpeted halls.

Harris wasn’t the only hall to receive a substantial renovation this summer. Alabama Hall, the sophomore’s on-campus haven, also received similar upgrades.

But Emory’s summer upgrades were not limited only to residence halls. The campus food scene has also taken a turn for the better as Dave Fuhrman, the senior director of Emory’s Food Service Administration, and the Food Advisory Committee Emory (FACE) have made significant strides in catering to student desires. While students were away, Cox Hall underwent a significant change. Following multiple meetings to gather feedback, students are getting some new, healthier food options. Both Pizza Hut and the controversial Chick-fil-A stands were removed and replaced by more popular options. Some of the stands coming to Cox include Twisted Taco, Dooley’s Grill (an expanded Dooley’s Burger), Cox Salad Bowl and a Cox Convenience Corner.

Some of the notable additions include DBA Barbecue, a popular local favorite from Virginia Highland; Star Ginger, a pan-Asian style restaurant from Sacramento and Top Hat Pizza, serving New York-style pizza by the slice. While students may be excited by these new additions, this next one is going to knock your socks off. Whether you’re pulling an all-nighter in the stacks or simply drunkenly wandering around campus, chances are you’ll be hungry.

Let’s be honest: Domino’s has started to get repetitive and Zaya got old quick. I mean, how many times can you order those weird cheesy sticks? There are really not many places to go to get your late-night munchies satisfied. Well, lucky for you, FACE has come to the rescue and introduced what may possibly be the best idea since they decided to tear down McTyeire Hall … oh wait, that hasn’t happened yet.

In other news, Emory is bringing in food trucks – on weekends – late at night! Now, every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night between 9 p.m. and 1 a.m., food trucks will line up in front of the Woodruff P.E. Center – conveniently located nearby Eagle Row, might I add – delivering midnight snacks to all.

But wait, that’s not all! The trucks will also take Dooley Dollars. The only way it could get better is if they took meal swipes too.

Imagine the possibilities. Here, the revelers will meet the studious in a celebration of culinary trucking at a crossroads of debauchery and academic excellence. This is what Emory is about. Maybe not, but the addition is nonetheless long overdue.