Houston Texans (2-10) at Jacksonville Jaguars (3-9)

Remember when the Texans were playoff contenders? Nope, neither do I, because that fantasy ended after week two. Since week two, the Texans have lost 10 – yes 10 – games straight. Interestingly enough, the Texans’ last six losses have been in relatively close games where the Texans could’ve won with one more score. Nonetheless, close games don’t count for anything in the NFL.

The Texans played the Patriots tight last week, but the Pats eventually won the game on a game winning field goal from Stephen Gostkowski. Still, the Texans actually played pretty well despite their record. Who would’ve thought that without Arian Foster the Texans would be this bad? I certainly didn’t.

The Jaguars defeated the Browns last weekend on a touchdown reception by Cecil Shorts III with 40 seconds left in the game. Despite their 3-9 record, Jacksonville’s three wins have come in their past four games. Surprisingly enough,

Houston is still favored to beat Jacksonville. Expect the Jaguars to upset another team and make a late season push for the playoffs! (Just kidding about the playoffs). Texans 24, Jaguars 28.

Oakland Raiders (4-8) at New York Jets (5-7)

This is the point in the season for a Jets fan to just about give up all hope. Last weekend was an abysmally disappointing one for the Jets as they scored three points against the Dolphins. Geno Smith, the Jets quarterback of the future, was benched at halftime after passing for 29 yards in the first half.

It might just be me but I’m pretty sure anybody with a pulse can throw for more than 29 yards in 30 minutes. Aside from their offense, the almighty Jets defense allowed for 453 yards, 125 of which came on the ground (something the Jets usually don’t allow). In addition to their front defensive four playing poor, Dee Milliner also (according to Sports Center) thought he was playing flag football when he missed an easy tackle on Mike Wallace and allowed him to score Miami’s only touchdown of the game. If the Jets stand any chance of making the playoffs, this is the week that they will need to turn it around.

Though they were on the losing end of their Thanksgiving day game in Dallas, Oakland didn’t play that badly. Matt McGloin threw for 255 yards on 18 completions while Rashad Jennings scored two rushing touchdowns on 17 carries. Regardless of how the Raiders played last weekend, any team in the NFL at this point in time is good enough to beat the Jets with the way they’ve been playing. Raiders 17, Jets 10.

Indianapolis Colts (8-4) at Cincinnati Bengals (8-4)

Since their loss at St. Louis in week 10, the Colts haven’t been the same. In a game they were projected to win, the Colts suffered a 30 point blowout loss. Since then, the team has been 2-1 with both wins coming against Tennessee and another blowout 40-11 loss to Arizona.

Though the Colts won by eight last weekend at home against Tennessee, they still didn’t look the same. Andrew Luck threw for 200 yards and no touchdowns while Donald Brown led the team in productivity with 14 carries for 54 yards and the team’s only touchdown.

Lucky for the Colts, 40 year old Adam Vinatieri has still got it. Vinatieri successfully kicked five field goals, four of which were from further than 40 yards.

The Bengals tallied another win last week as they knocked off the Chargers in San Diego behind a solid performance from BenJarvus Green-Ellis who carried the ball 20 times for 92 yards and a touchdown.

Despite his rib injury in the middle of the game, A.J. Green returned to catch a touchdown pass from Andy Dalton to take the lead in the third quarter. Look for a tough battle this week in Cinci with the Bengals slipping past the Colts. Colts 24, Bengals 27.

Detroit Lions (7-5) at Philadelphia Eagles (7-5)

Well, I think it’s safe to say at this point that Nick Foles has secured his role as the Eagles starting quarterback. His insane performance recently has propelled the Eagles from 3-5 to 7-5, including a 24-21 win against Arizona last weekend.

Unfortunately, the Cowboys own the tiebreaker between the Eagles and themselves due to their 17-3 victory over the Eagles Oct. 20. And, with the Wild Card race heating up and the Eagles looking in from the outside, these next few weeks will be extremely important if the team hopes to make the playoffs.

They’ll have a tough matchup this weekend against the Lions.

However, the Lions have been having some problems. The Lions are in the position to win the division at this point but if Aaron Rodgers returns to the Packers in the upcoming weeks, it could be a tight finish for the NFC North.

Unfortunately, the Lions suffered two losses in weeks 11 and 12 to the Steelers and Buccaneers that have put them in a much tougher situation. They did, however, manage to turn it around last weekend against the Packers’ defense and get back on track. Reggie Bush and Calvin Johnson continued their dominant season as they each produced over 100 yards and a touchdown each in the 40-10 win.

Expect a highly contested game that could go either way. Lions 28, Eagles 31.

– By Adam Troyetsky 

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons