The University will consider “limited exceptions” for students to remain on campus based on case-by-case requests, according to an email to on-campus residential students from Senior Director of Housing Operations Elaine Turner and Senior Director of Residence Life Scott Rausch.

Some exceptions to the move-out requirement include: students who will have difficulty returning to their home country based on governmental travel restrictions; have demonstrated financial hardship; or students who are otherwise unable to return to Atlanta to pack their belongings. Such students could be provided the option to live on campus for the remainder of the semester.

All on-campus residential students must fill out a Move Out Form by March 16 at 5 p.m.

“Students who are permitted to stay on campus will be required to relocate to a different residential space,” the email reads. “Services will be limited, including access to many facilities, recreation and dining.”

The email states also stated that Emory will provide boxes, trash bags and other moving supplies to aid students. The University also said it would provide students with “information about storage options.”

In an interview with the Wheel, Deputy Provost Christa Acampora said the University has been preparing for weeks on plans to accommodate students and faculty who will have difficulty accessing stable WiFi or equipment for virtual learning when they return home. 

Acampora also emphasized that while she could not speak to all campus buildings, the University will remain open, which will include the Robert W. Woodruff library.

Ninad Kulkarni (he/him) (22C) is from Hyderabad, India, majoring in economics and mathematics. You can catch him cheering for Bayern Munich and making poor attempts at playing sports.