University of Georgia senior running back James Cook carries the football against the University of South Carolina on Sept. 18. (Wikimedia Commons/Gamecock Central)

The University of Georgia (UGA) Bulldogs football team defeated Texas Christian University (TCU) 65-7 in the College Football Playoff National Championship Game on Jan. 9. The victory earned the Bulldogs a second consecutive National Championship. This matchup also marked TCU’s first appearance in a National Championship title game since 1938. 

The Bulldogs came out the gate with a strong 10-0 lead over TCU with 6:51 left in the first quarter. TCU managed to score only a single touchdown before Georgia proceeded to score 55 consecutive points, leading them to the largest margin of victory and number of points scored in College Football Playoff title game history. 

Stetson Bennett, the Georgia quarterback known as “the Mailman” by fans, reflected on the team’s talent after the game. “I’ve got good players around me. I’m not that bad at football either,” Bennett said. 

Indeed, he is not. Bennett posted 304 passing yards, completed 18/25 passes and scored four touchdowns. Two of those touchdowns he ran into the endzone himself, including a 21-yard rush. In fact, Bennett’s performance was strong enough to secure the victory by the third quarter and head coach Kirby Smart removed him from the game with 13:25 left to play in the game.

According to Smart, the Mailman always delivers.

“There is no next Stetson Bennett,” Smart said in a post-game press conference. “He was the exception. And he did unbelievable things…He’s got G.O.A.T. status in Athens, Georgia forever.” 

Despite allowing TCU quarterback Max Duggan’s 60-yard throw to wide receiver Derius Davis to score early on, the infamous Georgia defense managed to squash the hopes of TCU’s offense. UGA defensive back Javon Bullard recovered a TCU fumble and intercepted Duggan twice, providing the Georgia offense with possession three times. Bullard said his motivation fuelled his standout performance.

“This place is special,” Bullard said after the game. “Just growing up as a kid from the state of Georgia, playing for the University of Georgia, it’s special.” 

This stellar team effort resulted in back-to-back championships for the first time in Georgia football history. The Bulldogs are only the ninth team in college football history to win two consecutive national championships and are the first to do so since the University of Alabama in 2011 and 2012.  

It is no secret Georgia has the potential to make college football history next year, and the hopes of a third consecutive national championship next year are high for UGA football supporters far and wide. The team has no plans of ceasing to work hard. 

“When entitlement creeps into your program, you’re in trouble,” Smart said

The Bulldogs must be prepared to face high-level Southeastern Conference (SEC) and national competitors in the 2023 season. Each year brings a new set of challenges: Bennett’s eligibility is up, some players have declared for the NFL Draft and others have entered the transfer portal. Georgia will return key contributors such as tight end Brock Bowers, defensive back Kamari Lassiter and defensive back Daylen Everette. And, of course, the incoming recruiting class will bring a new pool of talent to the team. 

For now, however, it is safe to say Georgia is relishing its back-to-back championship team. 

Sophia Arruda (25C) is from Lakeville, Massachusetts. Outside of the Wheel, she is a member of the Emory Women’s Cross Country and Track & Field teams, on the executive board for She’s the First and a tutor for Emory Reads. In her free time she enjoys traveling, skiing and spending time with friends.