Emory University selected Golden Globe Award-winning actor and rapper Tyler James Williams as the keynote speaker for Emory’s annual Class Day Crossover. The 22nd iteration of Class Day Crossover will occur on May 9 from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. in the Emory Student Center (ESC) multipurpose room. Doors will open at 5:30 p.m.

Williams is best known for his starring roles in the sitcom series “Abbott Elementary” (2021) and “Everybody Hates Chris” (2005), as well as the Disney Channel film “Let It Shine” (2012). He won his Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series for his role as Gregory Eddie in “Abbott Elementary.” Additionally, Williams was the youngest person to win an NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actor in a Comedy Series at 14 years old. Outside of acting, Williams has recorded rap and freestyled over songs.

Class Day Crossover is an annual senior tradition celebrating the graduating class from all of Emory’s undergraduate colleges. The evening will begin with a senior reception at the Dobbs Common Table. The Class Day program also includes senior awards and a final Coke Toast.

Tyler James Williams will speak at Emory University’s annual Class Day Crossover. (Courtesy of Emory University)

After William’s speech in the ESC, the graduating class will gather for the traditional Candlelight Crossover procession beginning at the ESC Plaza before passing through Asbury Circle and finishing at McDonough Field. The event serves as a symbolic crossing over from students to alumni. Emory invites all members of the University community to light the path to cheer on graduates during the procession.

Following the candlelight procession, a McDonough Field party featuring music from Faded Panda and DJ Brown Sugar will end the night.

Zeaven Hoxie (23C), a member of the Class Day Crossover student speaker selection committee, believes Williams is an “excellent choice for Class Day speaker,” citing his support for education and youth empowerment.

“His advocacy for these causes makes him an approachable and motivating figure for students as they embark on their next chapter, be it academic or professional,” Hoxie said in a press release.

Hoxie added that Williams can inspire Emory seniors and provoke “introspective questions.”

Last year’s Class Day Crossover keynote speaker was former White House Office of Public Engagement Associate Director and actor Kal Penn.

Lauren Yee (25Ox) is a news editor at The Emory Wheel. She is from Hong Kong and is majoring in religion. Outside of the Wheel, Yee serves on the boards of the Phi Gamma Literary Society and the Oxford Ensemble of Shakespearean Artists. In her free time, you can find her playing the saxophone, watching musicals or enjoying an iced oat milk matcha!