jessicaholler

Jessica Holler is a sophomore middle on the volleyball team. Last weekend, she led the Eagles to winning the Cal Lutheran Invitational, with a .379 attack percentage and a 1.86 blocks-per-set average over 14 sets.

Emory Wheel: How did you first get involved with volleyball?
Jessica Holler: I actually tried out for soccer at first and didn’t make the team so my mom forced me to go to volleyball clinics. At first I hated the sport, but then I ended up really liking it.

EW: Who is your role model?
JH: I’ve always looked up to Mia Hamm. I would always write my book reports on her.

EW: Do you have any pre-game rituals or superstitions?
JH: I always do handshakes with teammates on the court before a game. I also have handshakes with my coaches that I do.

EW: What happens if you forget to do a handshake?
JH: I’ve never forgotten so I really don’t know.

EW: If you had the ability to choose a superpower, what would you choose?
JH: Flying.

EW: Favorite sports film?
JH: “She’s the Man.”

EW: Do you have a sports memory in particular that stands out to you?
JH: Definitely my senior year of high school, winning State. It was a culmination of hard work and, because it was my senior year, it made it more memorable.

EW: Song that gets you in the zone before a game?
JH: We usually have locker room dance parties before that really pump us up.

EW: Do you have any specific personal or team goals for this season?
JH: Winning the National Championship definitely. Also, working on team chemistry and really getting to know everyone on the team individually.

EW: Favorite thing about Emory?
JH: Getting to know a lot of different people, because I came to Emory not knowing anyone. And getting to know myself, too.

– By Zoe Elfenbein