Emory University’s men’s and women’s track and field teams both finished first in a meet on March 26, while the baseball team split their doubleheader on March 29.

Men’s Track & Field breaks records at Hilltop Classic

With 155 points, the men’s track and field finished first at the Hilltop Classic at Birmingham-Southern College (Ala.). Twelve schools competed in the single-day meet, including Piedmont College (Ga.), which finished in second place with 114 points. Junior distance runner Spencer Moore finished the 3000-meter Steeplechase in first place with the only under 10-minute time out of the participants. In the high jump, junior jumper Brett Henshey broke the meet’s previous record with a winning jump of 2 meters.

The team fared well in distance runs. Seniors Jack Whetstone and Egan Kattenberg each finished first in the 1500m and 5000m runs, respectively. The 4x400m relay team also won their race while sophomore thrower Michael Tiffin won the hammer throw event with a 47.44m throw. 

The men’s track and field team next competes in the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) Spring Invitational on April 2 and 3.

Women’s Track & Field Tops Competition at Hilltop

The women’s track and field team also dominated the Hilltop Classic, finishing with 185.5 points, more than twice as many points as the second place team, Cumberland University (Tenn.) The Eagles won nine events during the meet.

Sophomore distance runner Annika Urban, senior sprinter Rebekah Bondi and sophomore sprinter Claire Evans won their respective races. Bondi was also part of the winning 4x100m team. In the field, senior thrower Laura Sheckter, sophomore thrower Hope Jackson, senior thrower Taylor Robinson and senior jumper Isabel Saridakis each won their events. Scheckter won the shot put event with a mark of 12.55m, and Robinson threw the javelin 39.11m, the furthest of all competitors.

The women’s track and field team will join the men’s team at the UAB Spring Invitational on April 2.

Baseball splits Monday matinee doubleheader

Due to the inclement weather at Maryville College (Tenn.) over the weekend, the baseball team’s doubleheader was postponed one day to March 29. The team won the first game 9-2 but fell short 3-2 in the second. 

In game one, junior pitchers Jack Brodsky and Joey Bock stole the show, pitching five and four innings, respectively. Brodsky allowed only two earned runs while Bock did not surrender a hit, striking out five in the process. Junior infielder Zeke Diamond reached base four times, going 3-3 at the plate and driving in two runs. Senior infielder Ryan Adelman drew two talks and scored twice. The score was 3-2 going into the eighth inning, but the team scored six runs in the final two innings to lock up the win in game one.

The second game, though, did not favor the Eagles. Emory was up 2-0 going into the bottom of the sixth but gave up three runs, costing them the game. Diamond and senior infielder Jacob Singer each had one RBI. While senior pitcher Jack Moore pitched well until the sixth inning, the costly three runs ended up making the difference in the atypical seven-inning game. Moore allowed five hits and struck out two in his third loss of the season.

The baseball team is now 4-4 on the season and next plays on April 6 against Piedmont College (Ga.) for the second time this season. The game will be the first home game for an Emory Athletics team since the COVID-19 pandemic began over one year ago.

Michael Mariam (23B) is from Rye Brook, New York, and is on the BBA track. Outside of the Wheel, he serves as the president of Coaching Corps, a volunteer club that plays sports with Atlanta youth at the Boys and Girls Clubs of Metro Atlanta. He also interned at PoolHost.com, a sports office pool hosting website. Mariam is a die-hard Yankees fan.