Your brand’s logo is more than just a wonderful design for an email signature. The aim of a logo is to set representation for your brand. The logo provides a means for people to recognize their brands easily. 

The design of a logo speaks volumes about your company. The first impression of a logo should draw the users closer to your brand and insight a favourable emotion towards your company. It should not just showcase your name, but also provide an idea of your ideology. 

A poorly made logo can repel people from clicking on your logo, or following your work in a retail store. Logos are memorable, easier to remember than names. They also help to set you apart from the competition and create an associable memory. 

Lastly, your audience is looking for it. A brand without a logo is one that is half dressed. A logo reveal is more than just for flair, it’s a prerequisite in the online world. 

Elements of a Logos 

We can broadly categorize logos into a few categories to help you identify what you aim to achieve. Based on the design of the logo, they can be of shapes and sizes. Based on your purpose and placements, the ideal shape would vary. 

The aim of a logo is to be concise, relevant to your brand, create a lasting memory, flexible for use, and timeless. That is the magical rule of branding. The branding should not just be apt to a certain time — it must last for generations. 

For example, the logo of Google has been simple for many years. They do not use complex shapes and simply stick to text. Their identity is the colours they use and the purpose is to help identify the platform. 

Narrowing Down the Right Logo 

With these basics in mind, we can now dive into the finer details of a perfect logo. Here are the elementary questions you should ask yourself to take you one step close to your logo. 

01: What Group Are You Selling To? 

Based on the demographic you are selling to, the logo would need drastic changes. The interests, likes, and dislikes of your ideal consumer play a key role in finding the right logo. If your clients are of a younger demographic, they would be drawn to a more colourful and creative logo. 

Audiences of an older age-group look for more subtle and sophisticated design. There is also some research to show that a senior audience prefers text heavy designs over graphics. 

Some brands also design the logo around their mascots. This is highly specific to the needs of an audience. And work as a tool to attract a very niche demographic. 

02: Do You Want Icons Or Texts? 

This is a battle that many brands fight at the start of the logo design process. Do not worry if you are on the same boat. The icons are an excellent way to retain your brand image in the minds of the audience. 

On the other hand, a text logo helps users understand the name of your brand and messaging very clearly. 

Some brands create two logos to fulfil each purpose. However, this is not advised, since it confuses the viewers about the true identity of your company. 

03: What Does Your Competition Look Like? 

An important factor to consider when creating a logo is for it to stay as far away from the competition as possible. Your logo, in no way, should resemble or draw influence from any other brands in your domain. 

Studying the logos of other brands is also very helpful to understand the maker demand. It helps you identify brands whose logos are memorable, and scrutinize the reasons why certain logos work. 

04: What Colours Represent Your Brand? 

The colour of a logo often becomes the associated colour of the brand. This means if your logo is heavy in red colour, the other entities such as website and stationary must also resemble the same colour scheme. 

The graphic designer who creates your logo would be capable to guide you better on colour schemes. Designers rely on a tool called Pastel color guide to find complementing and unique colours for your logo. 

05: Do You Have a Tagline? 

If your brand has a tagline; it’s up to you and your team to place this on the logo, or leave it out of it. Ask your designer to provide both options. 

Only if the tagline adds value or explains the meaning of your brand, keep it on the logo. Few brands are driven by their tagline which makes it essential for it to be in every marketing creative. 

If you choose to add your company tagline on the logo, ensure it does not steal focus away from the name of the brand or the mascot. 

06: Where Will You Use This Logo? 

Lastly, create a list of places you would potentially use your logo. This list will help you better determine the shape and the size of the logo. 

If your company focuses on retail or a product driven market, you would expect to put your logo on all your packaging. This means the logo must complement the package design, and the material used. 

If you are using your logo on digital spaces such as websites and social media; ensure the logo is designed with web-safe colours. 

Final thoughts, 

The logo of a brand is synonymous to its identity. Take your time to design this logo. Seek help from a professional to get the best, and most original logo. 

There are multiple online tools and platforms that design a logo. However, these designs are usually based on a template and might look repetitive and monotonous in this competitive digital world. 

Never settle for the first option given to you. Brainstorm on a few design ideas with the designer if needed. Do not hesitate to take a month to confirm your design, it is going to remain the face of your company for generations and years to follow.