This year’s Halloween will certainly be much stranger than ever before, but one thing is sure to get all of us in that Halloween spirit despite the horrors all around: a good scary movie. Whether you’re planning on spending Oct. 31 by yourself or at a (socially distanced) soiree, here are our picks for some spooky, scary cinema to send shivers down your spine. 

Rhett Hipp: ‘Alien’ (1979) — HBO Max

“Alien” is director Ridley Scott’s genre-defining work of sci-fi horror that is well-crafted on every level. The film, lovingly characterized as “‘Jaws’ in space,” follows the crew of the fictional USCSS Nostromo as they attempt to survive a killer alien that has snuck on board. The strong use of colors, contrasting dark shadows with sickly yellows, sterile whites and deep blues, as well as the claustrophobic production design, keeps viewers on the edge of their seats as the titular alien (Bolaji Badejo), brilliantly designed by late Swiss artist H.R. Giger, hunts them. The movie’s age hardly shows and the tension holds up on multiple viewings. If you haven’t seen it, please do. If you’ve already seen it, watch it again.

Ayushi Agarwal: ‘Andhadhun’ (2018) — Netflix

The recipient of three National Film Awards in India, among several other accolades, “Andhadhun” caught everyone’s eye as a critically-acclaimed film and box office hit in 2018. Although typically not a strong suit of the Hindi-language film industry, this film’s handling of its dark comedy thriller genre is impeccable and tells a convincing story of a blind piano player (Ayushmann Khurrana) who inadvertently gets caught in a game of cat-and-mouse with a murderous wife (Tabu). Whether you watch the film for its stellar soundtrack, blink-and-you-miss-it twists or bizarre plotline, I doubt you’ll regret it.

Cailen Chinn: ‘Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas’ (1993) — Disney+

Regardless of the fact that this is my all-time favorite movie, Tim Burton’s animated classic is sure to get you in the lighthearted Halloween spirit. This film has been beautifully restored and recolored on Disney+ to make the greens, yellows and reds pop in the film making Jack Skellington (Chris Sarandon) seem even scarier, Sally (Catherine O’Hara) more of a hopeless romantic and Christmas Town all the more magical. Sing along to “This Is Halloween” and “What’s This?” for an added spooky mood.

Becca Moszka: ‘Hocus Pocus’ (1993) — Disney+

The Halloween movie to end all Halloween movies, “Hocus Pocus” has it all. Romance? Check. Humor? Check. Witches, potions, black cats and broomsticks? Check. Plus, the film is set in Salem, Massachusetts, where the famous witch trials of 1692 took place. Pretty spooky, if you ask me.

Jada Chambers: ‘Interview with the Vampire’ (1994) — Hulu

If you love the trendy dark academia aesthetic, period dramas, vampires or all of the above, this is the perfect film for a stormy October night. Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Christian Slater and Antonio Banderas form a cast of stars in their prime. I find myself rewatching this movie almost every fall and come away with the feeling that maybe there is something more lurking in the night than just shadows.

Aayush Gupta: ‘Kahaani’ (2012) — Netflix

If you think Bollywood is all song and dance, think again. “Kahaani” takes the viewer on a rollercoaster ride of emotions, suspense and catharsis, as it follows the story of Vidya Bagchi (Vidya Balan), a pregnant woman in search of her missing husband in Kolkata, India. Aside from being centered around a stellar female lead, the film concocts an intricate web of lies, deceit and misdirection that keeps viewers on the edge of their seats with suspense and terror a perfect flick for those looking for a thrill but not brave enough to dip their toes into the horror genre!

Eythen Anthony: ‘Chopping Mall’ (1986) — Amazon Prime

“Chopping Mall” is everything you could ask for in a schlocky, 1980s horror film. It follows a group of teenagers who must escape a mall run by out-of-control security robots. While the plot alone is laughable, it’s carried by its equally absurd special effects, most notably Leslie Todd’s (Suzee Slater) head explosion. Filled with references to classic B-movies, such as “Eating Raoul” (1982) and “A Bucket of Blood” (1959), “Chopping Mall” is a cheesy ride from start to finish.

Saru Garg: ‘Rosemary’s Baby’ (1968) — Showtime

I take no pleasure in reporting the fact that Roman Polanski, who has long had sexual assault charges pending against him, directed, without a doubt, one of the greatest feminist horror movies of all time. Though its satanic rituals and devil spawn are the stuff of nightmares, the film ultimately proves that nothing is scarier than when a woman cries out for help and is not believed.

Gabriella Lewis: ‘Halloweentown’ (1998) — Hulu

“Halloweentown” is the epitome of a Disney Channel original movie bad acting, bad quality, bad plot, amazing film. The movie tackles family dynamics, the negative consequences of othering and the wacky world of ghouls, goblins, monsters, wizards and witches of the fictional Halloweentown. Although it may have not been groundbreaking in the film industry, there are some valuable lessons to be learned. It isn’t October without forcing my friends or family to sit down and watch this classic with me, and I suggest you do the same.