Every year players in the National Football League (NFL) are voted into an All-Star game called the Pro Bowl. Held in Hawaii, the Pro Bowl features the best NFL players who did not make the Super Bowl. Yet, even with the most athletic beings in the world, this talent showcase is a bore. There are two major reasons why the Pro Bowl lacks the intensity football is known for.

The first major reason why the Pro Bowl lacks intensity is the amplified desire to protect player safety. Safe football is ironic.Everyone is obviously for player safety, but tackle football is popular because of the big hits that occur on a down-to-down basis.

Without the big hits, the game loses meaning. Nevertheless, all NFL players understand the risk that any down could be their last, so the acceptance of extreme physical play still continues.

The Pro Bowl is different than a regular season game. Because the Pro Bowl means nothing, there is an undisputed standard to lessen intensity to protect players from injury. The result is normally a scrimmaged football game where scoring is normally elevated since defenses must limit the natural intensity that gives them an edge.

The second major reason why the Pro Bowl lacks intensity is the lack of purpose.

The other sports have reasons for an all-star game. The winner of the Major League Baseball All-Star game gets home field advantage in the World Series. The National Basketball League and National Hockey League All-Star games are a showcase for individual players.

There is no incentive to win the Pro Bowl and less of an emphasis on the individual.

The Pro Bowl is everything the NFL is not. Still the ratings are too good to give up the spot on television. The problem could be solved by adding what was excluded from this year’s Pro Bowl: the skills competition.

The skills competition should replace the game itself. It would be more exciting to watch individuals compete against each other in their respective drills than watching a useless game. The incentive could be to give donations to a charity of choice for the players that win each competition.

This skills competition might not be a football game, but the Pro Bowl is barely a game as is.

As for the ratings, any show with the word NFL associated with it is sure to get views on a Sunday night. All would benefit.

– Contact Michael Scheck

Photo courtesy of Flickr, Benjamin Cave