Content warning: This article contains mentions of murder and assault.

As someone who has always been interested in true crime and mystery, I had no hesitation in watching Netflix’s newly-released docu series on serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer. Still, the first episode shocked me. I have watched almost all the true crime documentaries on Netflix, but this film was the first time where I felt genuine fear and shock through the screen. The acting and atmosphere created by the show frightened me, as if I was watching everything happen live. 

“Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story” has become the number 1 show on Netflix globally, with approximately 192 million hours viewed, after its release on Sept. 21.  The ten-episode limited series by Ryan Murphy and Ian Brennan is based on the true stories of the American serial killer, nicknamed the Milwaukee Cannibal. Dahmer killed 17 men and young boys between 1978 and 1991 in Milwaukee, Wis. His methods were notorious as he would murder, rape, dismember and consume his victims. He indeed was a monster.

The show’s timeline goes back and forth through Dahmer’s childhood to his adulthood. The first episode specifically focuses on Dahmer (Evan Peters) picking up Tracy Edwards (Shaun Brown) from a bar and taking him back to his apartment where there are immediate red flags.  There’s a fish tank filled with dead fish, a bloody drill and the horrific smell of decomposing flesh that Dahmer claims to be “bad meat.” Fortunately, Edwards is able to escape and call the police, leading to Dahmer’s capture and the publication of his horrific crimes. 

Courtesy of Netflix.

After the first episode, which displays Dahmer’s downfall, the show delves into his childhood, teenage years, family and the beginning of his killings. While I will not get into the specific content, I do want to warn that, for some, the episodes may be hard to sit through.

An important factor to keep in mind while producing true crime television shows or movies is to not romanticize or glorify the murderer. In 2019, Netflix released the movie “Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile” starring Zac Efron. Like “Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story,” this movie was about serial killer Ted Bundy (Zac Efron), who murdered 28 young women. Instead of centering on the victims and crimes, the movie focuses more on Bundy’s infamous charm toward women and his good looks. Some have argued that the movie did not portray him well as the villain that he was.

Unlike the Ted Bundy movie, I do believe the portrayal of Dahmer in this film is not romanticized and is more authentic. Peters does a great job getting into the character for this role. Comparing his performance to real interviews conducted with Dahmer, Peters nails every mannerism, from Dahmer’s breathing to the way he speaks. While watching him, you can sense the fear and tension yourself through the screen; you feel unease through the entire show.

While the series has gained wide popularity, there have also been some major critiques from the viewers. Many people have spoken out on social media platforms such as Tiktok and Twitter about the issue this series has caused. For the Milwaukee community, as well as friends and family of the victims, this show is ripping off the bandaid of an unhealed wound. Rita Isbell, the sister of one of the victims, wrote to Insider that “[The show] It brought back all the emotions I was feeling back then.” To make matters worse, Isbell said Netflix did not reach out to the families for permission or even give a heads up. 

There are real people impacted by Dahmer’s crimes. The stories and pain caused by Dahmer should not be viewed as pure entertainment or be used to make money. Families of the victims should have been told about the making of this piece. They deserve the respect and should have been considered by the producers. However, in reality the film industry has centered many shows and movies around serial killers, like Bundy and Dahmer. Many producers have used the real stories to make content that is alluring to the audience. Although true crime is interesting to learn about, there are better ways to educate ourselves with these topics without hurting the victims or giving attention to the killers. The victims were not fictional characters, they were real people just like us, with friends and families.