DID YOU KNOW… Ella Yelich-O’Connor AKA ‘Lorde’ was the first woman in 17 years to top Billboard‘s alternative chart at the young age of 16.

DID YOU KNOW… M.A.A.D. in Kendrick Lamar’s Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City is an acronym with two meanings: “My Angry Adolescence Divided” and “My Angels on Angel Dust.”

DID YOU KNOW… The members of Daft Punk have not allowed their faces to be photographed since May 1996.

DID YOU KNOW… Calvin Harris is the highest-paid DJ in the world, having made $46 million in the past 12 months.

DID YOU KNOW… Taylor Swift’s Red sold two albums every second during the week of Oct. 22.

“Same Love”
“Same Love” by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis is a song that criticizes homophobes and adamantly supports same-sex marriage. As someone with two gay uncles, Macklemore was inspired to write the song by his personal experience with the detrimental effects of legislation against same-sex marriage. This song, in particular, caused many to rethink their opinion of Macklemore. His blatant condemnation of the rap industry for demonizing gays was both necessary and extremely uncommon for someone in the industry. Written during Washington state’s campaign for legislation to legalize gay marriage, “Same Love” aided the movement at a social and personal level.

“Blurred Lines”
What at first seems like your average, extremely catchy pop song quickly turned into one of the most controversial and talked about songs of the year. The music video, featuring three topless women dancing around with a goat, sparked arguments between those who thought Robin Thicke was a complete misogynist and those who saw him as a liberator. Regardless of which side you support – check out the parodies.

– By Saher Fatteh