Since this is my first ever article in the Wheel I figure that I will explain to you what I am all about. The Beej is an unfortunate college nickname that has stuck with me since just about the first day I entered school. I used to have a radio show call Sports Talk with Jayson Patel, but my friends refused to listen because I did not incorporate my nickname into the title. So here is a little shout out to them. Anyway, my weekly articles will break down a few upcoming NFL matchups, as well as highlight any sleepers for fantasy football players. So let’s get into it. (Home team in CAPS)

Chicago vs. GREEN BAY

Chicago is coming off of a 20-point victory over Andrew Luck and the Colts, while the Packers are still recovering from a difficult loss against Alex Smith and the 49ers. However, since the beginning of the 2009 NFL season, Aaron Rodgers has only lost back-to-back games twice. My money is on the Pack here. Fantasy-wise, it’s important to note that Michael Bush stole two goal-line touchdowns from Matt Forte. This game is going to be a shootout, but Aaron Rodgers will not forget his gun.  GREEN BAY 34 Chicago 28

Oakland vs. MIAMI

I was at the local bar Famous watching Miami’s previous game, and it was painful watching Ryan Tannehill pretend to be a quarterback and the Dolphins pretending to be a real team. The Raiders also played a pretty unenthusiastic game last week, however, with San Diego kicker Nate Kaeding single handedly outscoring their entire team. This will not be the best game of the week, but it will be interesting to see how Ryan Tannehill performs, and whether Darren McFadden can be a presence not only in the passing attack, but in the ground game as well. I like Oakland, but this will not be a pretty game by any means. Oakland 24 MIAMI 10

New Orleans vs. CAROLINA

Well I cannot believe they won. While I am aware that both New Orleans and Carolina lost last week, I was talking about the four players implicated in the bounty hunting scandal. Although they are without their coach, I firmly believe that the Saints players will rally around their fellow teammates’ victory and put together a fairly successful season. On the other hand, Carolina has Cam Newton, who is great, and is fixing their defense, but not much else. I am not a fan of DeAngelo Williams or Jonathan Stewart, and although Cam is great, I believe a revitalized New Orleans club will avoid being 0-2. New Orleans 34 CAROLINA 28 

New York Jets vs. PITTSBURGH

For those of you who may not know, the New York Jets are my favorite sports team. I also placed a bet on them finishing the season under .500. However, the New York Jets showed me something last Sunday. They are tenacious on defense, and willing to take risks on offense. Mark Sanchez has shown poise beyond his years and looks to exceed expectations this season. While I understand that Pittsburgh is better than Buffalo, I will say that the New York Jets are riding some type of momentum that I have to believe in. Obviously one game is a small sample size, but momentum is funny like that. On the other side of the ball, Pittsburgh won a nail-biter in Denver, but I was not impressed with their offense. My unbiased opinion has the Jets riding some momentum against the depleted Pittsburgh defense, and taking advantage of the young Pittsburgh offensive line, and winning a difficult game. Watch out for Stephen Hill. The kid has become Mark Sanchez’s go-to weapon and opposing teams should be wary of him. New York Jets 17 PITTSBURGH 14

Denver vs. ATLANTA

It’s finally Monday night! And with Monday night, we have quite the matchup. Peyton Manning, after a start which quieted all his doubters, versus Matt Ryan, who showed that he could possibly, finally, be living up to the hype. Manning has a young receiving corps, but the Denver defense, led by Von Miller, is quite formidable. However the Atlanta Falcons, under the bright Monday Night lights at home, will pull off the victory due to a balanced offensive attack and an improving defensive squad. Everyone talks about Julio Jones, but Tony Gonzalez quietly put together a solid performance. His consistency is extraordinary, and if he is on your fantasy squad he is definitely worth the start. ATLANTA 27 Denver 24

Detroit vs. 49ERS

Frat Stafford was certainly not pretty last week, but he was decent enough to pull out the victory for the Lions against the Rams. I guess someone forgot to tell Megatron that he was supposed to be cursed by Madden, as he went for six receptions and 111 receiving yards. On the other side, the 49ers played and won a hard fought battle against Aaron Rodgers, and while I won’t go as far as saying they made the right call in the 2005 NFL Draft, but Alex Smith is perfect for the 49ers system. I don’t think that Stafford will be as bad as he was last week, but I think the 49ers are just too good. Watch out for Titus Young. When defenses focus on Calvin Johnson, he is the one that reaps the benefits. 49ERS 28 Detroit 24

Tampa Bay vs. NEW YORK GIANTS

I have a theory. Well I have many theories, but I have a theory that fits the bill in this current scenario. The New York Giants have won the Super Bowl twice in recent memory, and in both seasons they started out poorly, the team wasn’t headed for success, but they were able to catch fire late and ride it through the playoffs. This year, the Giants started out with a rough loss against Dallas, but I am sure they are going to rebound. Tampa’s offense had a solid start to their last game, but got cold towards the end. There has been a lot of talk about Josh Freeman breaking out this year; I will definitely need a bigger sample size to make a judgment call on that. But on the fantasy front, look for any Tampa running back to succeed on Sunday. Who else is going to succeed? The New York Football Giants. NEW YORK 34 Tampa Bay 17

Last week I had not made any picks, but from now on I will keep a running record. Since this is week one for my picks I will start 0-0. Hopefully my predictions prove to be correct these next few days. Until then, I hope everyone stays safe, and has a wonderful weekend.

–By Jayson Patel

Editor’s note: These decisions were picked before the paper went to press.