Courtesy of Pixabay

If you are anything like me, you often find yourself scrolling on Goodreads for far too long, but nothing sounds good. What to do? Never fear, your ultimate list is here! Here are 10 books to try when you don’t know what to read.

Courtesy of Penguin Random House

When you want to fall off the bed laughing, read “You Deserve Each Other by Sarah Hogle. In this second-chance-romcom where the comedy almost outdoes the romance, follow Naomi and Nicholas through their tumultuous engagement filled with pranks, ever-present parents and forced proximity. This one is sure to have you laughing till you cry.

Courtesy of Tor Books

When you want to hug your mom, read “The House in the Cerulean Sea by T. J. Klune. Set in a universe in which humans and magical beings coexist, travel with caseworker Linus to an isolated island in the middle of a beautiful sea to investigate an odd orphanage. What he finds there will teach him the meaning of family and love. This young adult fantasy about a tight-knit found family will wrap its arms around you and hold you tight.

Courtesy of Berkley

When you need a good cry, read “Pack Up the Moon by Kristan Higgins. This story of healing follows Josh through the first year following his wife’s passing, in which every month he receives a new letter that she wrote him before she died. This contemporary story will definitely give some much needed catharsis, even if you aren’t a crier. 

Courtesy of G.P. Putnam’s Sons

When you want to give your brain a break, read “The Guncle by Steven Rowley. This uplifting, funny tale of a single man who takes in his niece and nephew will have you crying tears of laughter, and any worrisome thoughts will fly out of your mind. Read this contemporary fiction for a luxurious vacation from your homework.

Courtesy of Atria Books

When you want your mind challenged, read “Anxious People by Fredrik Backman. Delve into the minds of several strangers as they all come together at an open house for an apartment when chaos ensues. With twists and turns, connections formed and secret relationships unveiled, this contemporary mystery will have you turning the page back to make sure you just read what you think you read.

Courtesy of Doubleday

When you want to hop on a plane (or a spaceship!), read “The Starless Sea” by Erin Morgenstern. If you’re feeling the need to get out of your dorm, or out of Atlanta, what better place is there to visit than the Starless Sea? Follow along with Zachary in this fantasy as he opens a mysterious door into an ancient library in another world, and lose yourself in the magic of this book.

Courtesy of Doubleday

When you want to feel like an academic weapon but don’t actually want to be one, read “Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus. Put on your white coat and join Elizabeth in her chemistry lab in the early 1960s, a time in which she is the only woman there. As her career becomes derailed, Elizabeth is more determined than ever to share her passion for chemistry with the world. This historical fiction tale, completed with the chemical composition of most everyday meals, will make you feel like the smartest person around.

Courtesy of S&S/ Marysue Rucci Books

When you’ve run out of murder mysteries, read “The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave. In this mystery following the disappearance of Owen, run around the world with his wife Hannah and daughter Bailey to discover the truth of who Owen is, and what he has done. You will think you’ve figured it out — but you probably didn’t.

Courtesy of Ballantine Books

When you want to go for a run but it’s raining outside, read “Carrie Soto Is Back by Taylor Jenkins Reid. Carrie is the best tennis player the world has seen in a generation; with 20 Grand Slam titles, she is the queen of the sport — until she’s not. Years after her retirement, Carrie’s record is broken, and against all odds, she finds herself back on the courts. A historical fiction, this book includes flashbacks to Carrie’s humble start and continues all the way to present day, when you can root alongside Carrie’s fans as she returns to the game.

Courtesy of G.P. Putnam’s Sons

When you miss the holidays, read “Just Like Magic” by, once again, Hogle. In this romantic December tale, with just the right amount (read: obnoxious amounts) of Christmas magic, cheer and familial obligations, read about down-on-her-luck Bettie Hughes, who accidentally (read: drunkenly) summons the human form of Holiday Spirit, who is determined to cheer her up. You will laugh, smile and get your holiday fix with Bettie, Hall and the Hughes family in this Christmas classic. 

So the next time you are scrolling through Goodreads to no avail, turn to this list instead. These books are all stand-outs in their fields. Whether you are strictly a romance reader, a mystery machine or looking to switch it up, there’s something on this list for you to get you reading up a storm.

Alexa Freedman (she/her, 26C) is from Atlanta, Georgia, and is majoring in psychology and minoring in the business school. Outside of writing for the Wheel's News and Arts & Entertainment sections, Freedman is involved with Hillel and Emory READS. If you're looking for her, chances are you'll find her listening to excessive amounts of Broadway soundtracks, with her nose in a book, or at Starbucks (and sometimes all three)!