2022 Election Guide

By Matthew Chupack and Madi Olivier | May 13

Georgia’s 2022 election features U.S. Senate, governor, secretary of state and other key races. Primary election day was May 24, and runoffs were held on June 21 for the secretary of state Democratic nominee and the lieutenant governor Democratic nominee. 

Gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams, a Democrat, will face Republican incumbent Brian Kemp in the general election. Additionally, Republican U.S. Senate candidate Herschel Walker is running against incumbent Raphael Warnock (D-Ga.). The general election will take place on Nov. 8. Any general election run-offs will be held on Dec. 6. 

Photos courtesy of Flickr and Creative Commons. (Madi Olivier/News Editor)

Emory, Georgia State receive $52 million for drug development center dedicated to pandemic prevention 

By Madi Olivier | May 24

After being awarded $52 million in federal funding over the next three years, Emory University and Georgia State University established the Antiviral Countermeasures Development Center (AD/DC), which is dedicated to preventing the next pandemic through developing potential COVID-19 antivirals and medications that attack viruses. Drug Innovation Ventures at Emory CEO George Painter (72C, 73G, 77G) is one of the principal investigators of the AC/DC.

“The Antiviral Countermeasures Development Center will generate breakthrough discoveries and build on the innovations pioneered for decades by Emory scientists and Georgia State colleagues,” University President Gregory Fenves wrote in a press release. “Georgia has been a leader throughout the pandemic, in medical research, treatment and clinical care, and we will continue to serve at an even higher level through this new center.”

Drug Innovation Ventures at Emory CEO George Painter (left) and Georgia State’s Center for Translational Antiviral Research Director Richard Plemper (right) will be the principal investigators at the Antiviral Countermeasures Development Center. Photo courtesy of Emory University

City of Oxford removed Confederate signage, sheds light on community’s history of enslaved people

By Ashley Zhu | June 7

A remnant of Emory’s first chapel, Kitty’s Cottage is a historical landmark previously home to Catherine “Kitty” Andrew Boyd. She was enslaved by Methodist Bishop James Osgood Andrew, the first chair of the Emory Board of Trustees. 

Andrew offered to send Boyd to Liberia, an African colony for freed slaves, because Georgia laws in the 1940s barred an individual’s release from slavery. However, the plaque that formerly accompanied Kitty’s Cottage stated that Boyd allegedly “preferred to remain with the Andrew family.”

The Oxford community criticized this narrative, and Oxford, Georgia’s City Council subsequently voted to remove the sign in April, along with several other historical plaques, including one at the Oxford Historical Cemetery. 

“The signage at Kitty’s Cottage seemed to tell a story that was very biased towards one side,” former Oxford Men of Color President Devin Gee (22Ox, 24C) said. “It seemed to describe how much she almost enjoyed the fact that she didn’t have her own freedom.”

“Kitty’s Cottage” still stands in Oxford, Georgia. The house is believed by some to used to be slave quarters. Photo Courtesy of Emory University

University names Carter as interim Oxford College dean

By Madi Olivier | June 9

Charles Howard Candler Professor of Psychology Kenneth E. Carter (87Ox, 89C) assumed the position of Interim Oxford College Dean on Aug. 1. The University announced his selection on June 9 after former Dean Douglas Hicks resigned to accept the position of president of Davidson College (N.C.), his alma mater. Emory will conduct a nationwide search for a permanent replacement. 

“It’s an honor to follow in the steps of Dean Doug Hicks, who is departing after six years to become president of Davidson College,” Carter wrote in an email to students. “I look forward to working with faculty, staff, and all of you to keep Oxford strong, vibrant, and moving forward.”

Charles Howard Candler Professor of Psychology Kenneth E. Carter was named the interim dean of Oxford College. Photo courtesy of Emory University.

What the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade means for Georgia

By Brammhi Balarajan and Matthew Chupack | June 24

The U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade on June 24, dismantling an almost 50-year precedent protecting the right to an abortion. Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization was a 6-3 ruling along partisan lines. 

Justice Samuel Alito, who authored the majority opinion, said the initial Roe ruling was “egregiously wrong” and “an abuse of judicial authority.” With Roe overturned, abortion laws are left to the states. 

Georgia, which previously banned abortions after 22 weeks, enacted the heartbeat bill, which was previously struck down by a federal court. Now, Georgia bans nearly all abortions after six weeks.

“As a university and an employer, Emory is highly likely to face new limits on the reproductive health care coverage we can offer our students, faculty and staff,” Fenves wrote in an email to the Emory community. “We are working closely with partner organizations throughout the state to review and adapt to these changes.”

Emory Wheel/Chloe Yang

‘Forbidden Loves and Secret Lusts’: Rose Library hosts exhibition featuring queer pulp fiction

By Madi Olivier | June 25

Emory University’s Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives and Rare Book Library is featuring queer pulp fiction books in their “Forbidden Loves and Secret Lusts: Selections from the Golden Age of Queer Pulp Fiction” exhibit. 

The showcase — which includes about 30 rare books about lesbian and gay relationships — opened in celebration of Pride month in June. It will be on the 10th floor of the Robert W. Woodruff Library until Oct. 7, the first day of the Atlanta Pride festival. 

“For a lot of people, these books were really extremely important forms of representation and the first time that they’ve ever seen queer desire represented at all in their lives,” Rose Library Associate Director Carrie Hintz said. 

Photo courtesy of Carrie Hintz

Oxford College Summer Experience Program provides early glimpse of college for Newton, Putnam County high schoolers

By Meredith Salzinger | June 25 

Over the summer, 60 high schools from Newton and Putnam counties attended the inaugural Oxford College Summer Experience Program where they learned about the college admission process and life at Emory University. 

Putnam County Charter School System Community Liaison Rev. Avis Williams (78Ox, 98C, 08T, 18T), one of Oxford’s earliest Black graduates and an active member of the Oxford College Alumni Board, initiated conversations with former Oxford College Dean Douglas Hicks about connecting to students in Putnam and Newton counties. 

Both counties fall below the Georgia median household income and per capita personal income, according to 2019 data.

“Sometimes, students in traditionally underserved communities may not have the opportunity to visit colleges,” Williams said. “I think it is our responsibility to help them see what their opportunities are and what they need to do to be successful beyond high school to realize their dreams.”

By Sarah Davis (22Ox, 24C)

Students, administration aim to reform, demystify mental health on campus

By Ashley Zhu | July 7

Students have long expressed concern about the quality of mental health resources on campus, such as long wait times for Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) appointments. As a result, many students worked to promote change, including members of Emory Active Minds, who drafted an open letter to Emory administration regarding student mental health concerns this April.

“The biggest issue for Emory is not the lack of resources, but the lack of integration,” Emory Active Minds Fundraising Chair Brandon Choi (24C)  said. “If administration is going to pour time and money into creating resources, they should take the extra step to make sure students know they exist.”

Associate Vice President of Health, Well-Being, Access and Prevention James Raper became the first to hold the position this year. He will help CAPS take an “integrated and holistic approach to help foster mental health understanding.”

Emory Counseling and Psychological Services. (Emory Wheel/Grace Shen, Contributing)

Freeman named Emory College interim dean

By Matthew Chupack and Madi Olivier | July 21

Goodrich C. White Professor of Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies Carla Freeman was named interim dean of Emory College of Arts and Sciences (ECAS) in a July 21 email and assumed the position on Aug. 1. She previously served as the executive associate dean of ECAS. 

The announcement follows former ECAS Dean Michael Elliott’s departure from Emory to become the president of Amherst College, his alma mater. 

“Dr. Freeman has been a dynamic scholar, passionate and thoughtful teacher, and dedicated leader in the College,” Fenves said in a press release. “As interim dean, I know she will set a high standard, bringing out the potential of the thousands of students, faculty and staff who make the Emory College of Arts and Sciences outstanding.”

Carla Freeman was named the interim dean of Emory College of Arts and Sciences. Photo courtesy of Emory University

Music Midtown canceled in alleged response to Georgia gun laws

By Matthew Chupack and Madi Olivier | Aug. 1

Music Midtown — which was set to feature artists like My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Future and Phoebe Bridgers on Sept. 17 and Sept. 18 — was allegedly canceled due to Georgia laws allowing guns to be carried in public spaces like parks. 

While the festival prohibits “weapons or explosives of any kind,” Gov. Brian Kemp signed SB319, or the Georgia Constitutional Carry Act, into law in April, further solidifying citizen’s rights to carry guns in public, including parks, and preventing Music Midtown from having a gun ban at Piedmont Park for the duration of the funeral. 

“Due to circumstances beyond our control, Music Midtown will no longer be taking place this year,” Music Midtown announced Aug. 1. “We were looking forward to reuniting in September and hope we can all get back to enjoying the festival together again soon.”

Megan Thee Stallion performed at Music Midtown in Piedmont Park. (Anjali Huynh)

Editor-in-Chief | Matthew Chupack (he/him, 24C) is from Northbrook, Illinois, majoring in sociology & religion and minoring in community building & social change on a pre-law track. Outside of the Wheel, Chupack serves on the Emory College Honor Council, is vice president of Behind the Glass: Immigration Reflections, Treasurer of Omicron Delta Kappa leadership honor society and an RA in Dobbs Hall. In his free time, he enjoys trying new restaurants around Atlanta, catching up on pop culture news and listening to country music.