Courtesy of Emory University.

Courtesy of Emory University.

The Dobbs University Center (DUC) is in for some exciting changes. We already know that the DUC is going to be replaced by a brand new Campus Life Center. It was last renovated 29 years ago and has since provided Emory students and faculty with a spot to dine, socialize, study and even just relax. However, after nearly three decades, the University will renovate and replace the DUC, building a new, larger student center.

The Wheel asked students at Emory about their feelings and hopes of renovating one of Emory’s most important buildings, the DUC, and this is what they had to say:

“I think it’s bitter-sweet, I mean it’s great that they’re going to replace the DUC, and the campus is going to look amazing… but the thing is that I’m not going to be able to take advantage of it or experience it. I won’t be a student when they finish it, it kind of sucks. I would have loved to seen the new DUC if I was here. I hope to see the DUC as more of a place for socializing. Right now, I think it’s underutilized. I think it would be cool to just have some hangout spaces. We have Coca-Cola commons, but I don’t think people really use that.” – Tony Crosby, College junior

“I hope to see it be more accessible, and have a lot more lounge space to hangout in. The only problem is that it’s going to come in like four years, and [at] that point, I won’t get to enjoy it.” – Delphine Wilder-Uriburu, College freshman

“More seating! During peak hours it’s really hard to find a seat.” – Ayushi Sharma, College freshman

“Better food! It’s a hope…  I don’t think I’ll miss anything about this place unless Dunkin’ Donuts goes. They should put a Starbucks in — that would be fun.” – Nana Yaw Ohemeng, College freshman

“I felt hope for new food. I just hope they keep the standard they’re at right now.” – David Prina,  College freshman.

“At first I was like, “oh cool!”, and I didn’t think too much about it. But I’m going to miss this view that we have, of the theatre… It’s kind of nice. But I think it’ll be nice if we don’t [have] these weird levels of dining. Also, from the inside I think the DUC is really pretty, and I like all the flags, so I hope they keep that. I hope to see a new seating arrangement and maybe a better way to have everyone swipe their cards. Because people just seem to go by and it’s kind of unorganized the way there’s three entrances.” – Keila Ashkenasi, College freshman

“I hope to see, maybe, a more convenient entrance way, you have to walk all these stairs, it’s kind of annoying.” – Daniel Hanfelt, College sophomore.

– By Tanya Agrawal, Contributing Writer