Junior midfielder Ally Peterson leaps in front of a Washington University (Mo.) player to head the ball. The No. 5-ranked Eagles tied the No. 1-ranked Bears 1-1 through double-overtime last Sunday. / Courtesy of Emory Athletics

The No. 5-ranked Emory women’s soccer team took on No. 1-ranked Washington University (Mo.) to open University Athletic Association (UAA) play this past Sunday, ending in a 1-1 double-overtime tie.

The two teams are now tied for fourth in the UAA.

While both teams continue undefeated seasons, Emory has fallen to 6-0-3, overall, while Washington U. falls to 9-0-2.

The tie between the Emory Eagles and Washington Bears shows through the even efforts throughout the game – each team matching up with nine shots on goal and each goalkeeper making eight saves.

The offensive attacks made by both teams were featured early in play with the two goals having been scored 32 seconds apart in the 14th minute of play.

Bears sophomore forward Katie Chandler made a pass to senior forward Lillie Toaspern to up the score to 1-0. Immediately responding to this attack, Eagles senior forward Charlotte Butker sent a cross that was headed home by senior forward Emily Feldman to tie the score at 1-1.

With this assist under her belt, Butker is now tied for the second most assists in the program’s history with 25. She is six short of the program record of 31. Despite not winning, Butker was positive regarding the game.

“It was a hard and physical game, and although we didn’t come away with the win, I’m proud of the way our team fought from the start to the end,” she said.

Emory senior forward Karina Rodriguez presented another scoring opportunity in the 15th minute of play after battling through defenders to reach a one-on-one with Bears goalkeeper Lizzy Crist, but Crist impressively saved the shot.

Emory ended the first half of the game on top with a 9-7 shot advantage.

Early in the second half Feldman was able to make a breakaway and take a shot on goal that was followed up by another shot – both saved by Crist.

The Bears were presented with free kick in the 73rd minute of play, but junior goalkeeper Liz Arnold was able to make the save to keep the score tied at 1-1.

In the 87th minute of play, Toaspern took a shot on goal, but Arnold came out to make an incredible save, knocking the shot over the crossbar.

Throughout both overtime periods, the Bears registered four shots with no succession. Possession remained back-and-forth, and at the end of game play, the score remained 1-1.

“While of course it’s not ideal, I think a tie against the number one team in the country is a solid result, particularly this early on in the season. I feel like it’s a promising indicator of what we can hopefully accomplish later this year,” junior midfielder Jordan Morell said.

The Eagles return to action this today, Oct. 7 at 5 p.m., hosting non-conference Covenant College (Ga.) at the Woodruff Physical Education Center (WoodPEC).

– By Jenny Nutovits, Contributing Writer