The Student Programming Council (SPC) has announced that improv comedian David Koechner and Spanish DJ Danny Avila will join Dispatch in the lineup of performers for this year’s Swoop’s Week, the name given to Homecoming week events and performances.

Alt rock group Dispatch was announced earlier in the week as one of the three Swoop’s Week performers. Avila will take the stage Fri., Sept. 27, the day before Dispatch performs. Koechner – who is best known for playing cowboy sports reporter Champ Kind in “Anchorman” and Todd Packer on “The Office” – will perform his comedy routine on Thurs., Sept. 26.

The theme for this year is “Welcome to Swoop’s Week: Let the Good Times Roll,” which indicates the initiation of Swoop’s Week, which was originally called Homecoming. The week of events will revolve around Emory spirit and sports, College sophomore and SPC Technology Chair Max Mayblum said.

Swoop’s Week is going to be an all-out celebration of Swoop, Emory’s athletic mascot and students should expect to see “blue, white and gold all across campus,” College senior and SPC Homecoming Co-Chair Ashley London said.

A lot of thought went into the process of determining who would perform in this year’s line up, London said. He added that the comedian, in part, was chosen because many people appreciate his humor and his “Anchorman” performance.

SPC chose Danny Avila “because electronic dance music has become increasingly popular over the last year,” London said. London added that because Avila is performing at TomorrowWorld Music Festival on Saturday, Sept. 28, near Atlanta, he was conveniently in the area during the weekend.

In addition to Koechner and Avila, London said, Dispatch was a good choice because “it appealed to both students and alumni.”

Dispatch was very popular during the 1990s until they broke up in 2004, London said. They then reformed and became popular among a new generation of college students.

This year’s Homecoming will feature a big kickoff event on Asbury Circle on Mon., Sept. 23. SPC will host its “love event” on Tuesday. The details of these events could not be provided as they are still in the early planning stages.

Dispatch’s performance on Saturday will start at 2:30 p.m. and will follow a tailgate hosted by the Athletic Department, a parade and then both men and women Swoop’s Week soccer games.

SPC is not hosting the tailgate before the soccer games this year due to the growth of the annual parade, and they will instead place food trucks around campus, according to London.

– By Josh Cowle

Photo (showing David Koechner) courtesy of MandeePhoto/Flickr