In an attempt to eat my way through Atlanta’s lively food scene on a college-student budget and in a more desperate attempt to get a break from the Dobbs Common Table’s (DCT) taco obsession, I’ve compiled a list of my favorite restaurants in the city so far. While there are plenty more places not listed and not yet discovered, all of these restaurants are great for casual dinners and meeting new friends. 

Falafel King | Cost: $

I don’t think any student can go through their time at Emory without trying Falafel King at least once. A true Emory institution, Falafel King is located across the street from the Starbucks in Emory Village and serves a range of falafel and shawarma sandwiches and platters. 

The shop itself is very small, with only a couple of seats outside, but all of their food is conveniently packaged takeout-style. This not-so-hidden-gem is a great place to take your friends and family from out of town, to share a nice meal with a new friend or just to grab a later dinner when you’re tired of DCT. 

I recommend the mixed sandwich with spicy mayo because it is the perfect mix of chicken and falafel in one. No, the spicy mayo is not spicy, but it does pack a little bit of a hit in the aftertaste. 

Zyka | Cost: $

A short 10-minute drive from Emory (I’ve learned not to expect much less), Zyka is an Indian restaurant just off the main road close to Patel Plaza. The last time I was there, the indoor seating was unavailable. But while there were no people dining in the restaurant, the kitchen was still hard at work. 

I ordered naan and nehari, beef shanks stewed until tender and falling apart. The food came out exceptionally quickly. Having only been there once, I only ordered one portion of naan, but I would definitely recommend at least two portions. 

Everything was well-spiced. Order a mango lassi while you’re at it, especially if you can’t handle the heat. Or, eat more naan. Whatever you order, it’s impossible to go wrong. The price was very reasonable given the amount of food we were able to get. 

You can order online or at the store, and while I can’t speak for its authenticity, it’s certainly worth trying and deciding for yourself.

Food Terminal | Cost: $$

If you’ve asked me for food recommendations, Food Terminal has been at the top of my list since I learned of its existence. Food Terminal is a great restaurant for noodle lovers, with an extensive menu that includes several soups and tossed noodles. By now, after hearing about it at the beginning of last year, I’ve been at least six times. Unfortunately, like most restaurants in Atlanta, Food Terminal is really only accessible by car. Luckily, it has locations in Chamblee on Buford Highway, West Midtown, Alpharetta and Sandy Springs.

Two of my favorite dishes are the Six-hour Braised Beef Noodle Soup and the Zha Cai Pan Mee Tossed Noodles. The bao buns are also a big hit, but make sure to leave room for desserts like mochi. It’s also a fantastic choice for a casual dinner with a group of friends or a place to take your family when they visit.

The ambiance of Food Terminal is very much like a big family dinner for Chinese New Year or Thanksgiving in the U.S. The tables are large enough to accommodate all your friends, and the room is always bustling with people, not to mention the really cute cat robots that drive around the restaurant delivering food to customers. While Food Terminal is on the pricier side, the large portions of food will not disappoint. Everything is always well-seasoned and comes out fairly quickly, even when the restaurant is packed with customers.

Located at Emory Point, the General Muir is perfect for a lazy Sunday morning meal with your friends. (Sophia Ling / The Emory Wheel.)

The General Muir | Cost: $$

To cater to the newfound collective brunch obsession, specialty brunch restaurants are popping up all around the world. I have nothing against brunch, except that the concept of the word itself is highly misleading and unnecessary. It’s either a late breakfast or an early lunch, depending on your regular eating habits, and brunch food really shouldn’t be constrained to “brunch time.” Eat your pancakes for dinner, for all I care. 

Located at Emory Point, the General Muir is accessible and within walking distance. If you find yourself at the Emory Conference Center Hotel getting a COVID-19 test, maybe you can grab a bagel afterward.

The Muir is perfect for a lazy Sunday morning meal with your friends. However, it does get busy on the weekends, and there are no reservations, so plan accordingly. If the long wait times deter you from even entering, you’d be better off ordering a bagel to-go. Nevertheless, I would recommend any of their bagel sandwiches or building your own. As for actual food, the double stack burger is fantastic as well.

In the spring and summers, the Muir has plenty of outdoor seating to enjoy. Inside, the bar in the center, marble finishes and black-and-white color scheme dress up the restaurant to a whole new level. Floor-to-ceiling windows allow natural light to seep in, making it the perfect place for foodies to take their Instagram photos.  

Unfortunately, like all Emory-adjacent things, the Muir is not cheap, but at least you’re not paying for an Uber to get there.  

The tapas at Barcelona Wine Bar are perfect to share with friends and family. (Sophia Ling / The Emory Wheel.)

Barcelona Wine Bar is a lively option for late-night bites. (Sophia Ling / The Emory Wheel.)

Barcelona Wine Bar | Cost: $$$

The tapas at Barcelona are nothing to scoff at. Its Inman Park location is on a lively street not too far from Ponce City Market, Krog Street Market and the Beltline. You can find people dining there until pretty late at night, and it’s perfect for a special celebration or get-together with friends.

With a seasonal menu, Barcelona Wine Bar manages to serve a wide array of dishes. Of course, the charcuterie board should never be passed up. With a delectable variety of cheese and cured meat, which can also be made fully vegetarian, it is certainly the best dish to share with your friends. The tapas section of the menu is arranged depending on the time it takes to prepare the dish and progresses from vegetarian dishes to meats. I would recommend the eggplant caponata, crispy calamari, croquetas and lamb sausage. Each dish comes in small portions, but usually two or three tapas and a shared board is plenty.  

While the rustic wooden tables and dim lighting create a romantic ambiance, I wouldn’t recommend it for a date night due to the noise and almost-always packed tables. If you decide to go, make sure to reserve a spot online to avoid standing in the cold for unspeakable amounts of time. Service at the restaurant is quick, with the exception of occasional long waits to prepare your table if and when it gets busy. 

Sophia Ling (she/her) (24C) is from Carmel, Indiana and double majoring in Political Science and Sociology. She wrote for the Current in Carmel. She also loves playing guitar and piano, cooking and swimming. In her free time, she learns new card tricks and practices typing faster.