Freshman Mackenzie Duford throws a pitch against Agnes Scott College on Feb. 25 (Natalie Sandlow/Staff)

The Emory University softball team is looking forward to what the 2023 season has in store after a fifth-place finish in the University Athletic Association (UAA) standings last year. The Eagles kicked off their season Feb. 18-19 at Cooper Field, the home of the softball team, with two wins against LaGrange College (Ga.) and two losses to Pacific Lutheran University (Wash.).  They secured four additional wins against Agnes Scott College (Ga.) on Feb. 25 and the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology (Ind.) on Feb. 28, leading them to a 6-2 record to start the season. Head coach Adrianna Baggetta expressed the joy of playing against a different opponent rather than scrimmaging themselves in training.

“It was fun to get on the field and compete against a different color jersey,” Baggetta said. “The excitement and energy is there.” 

Baggetta is entering her fifth season at the helm of Emory’s softball program. She remains impressed by the dedication and commitment of Emory student-athletes.

“Proud is an understatement,” Baggetta said. “It’s not just my team, but the student-athletes put in work on-and-off the field to compete at such a high level. The things that they do, the things they accomplish and just the fact that they can go out there and compete is a phenomenal feat.”

The Eagles’ roster consists of only 10 girls with one returning senior in utility Tyler Miller. A softball team needs at least seven players to start a game, so last year, the team utilized athletes from other Emory teams to fulfill this requirement due to injuries. Volleyball players managed to attend practices for their own team, while also being present for a few softball practices a week. 

Due to the team’s small size, all hands are on deck. With five new freshmen, everyone is expected to contribute immediately. According to junior outfielder Page Nellis, size has no effect on the strong camaraderie among teammates.  

“Honestly, I just love game days with my team,” Nellis said. “They’re so much fun. I love being in the locker room. I love warmups. I love being in the dugout with the girls and on the field.”

The Eagles will play 26 of their 38 games at home this year. They will begin UAA conference play against Case Western Reserve University (Ohio) at home on March 24.  The team has entered the season with high goals in mind.

“Ideally, we’re looking to compete for a conference championship and make the postseason,” Baggetta said. “[We want] to grow and attack every day with 100%.” 

Nellis also expressed the desire to not only compete in the UAA, but to win the conference and compete in the NCAA Tournament as well.  The Eagles will need to improve upon last year’s season in order to do so.  In the 2022 season, the team finished 18-20, with a conference record of 7-13. 

Baggetta said the team has learned a lot from last season which they hope will propel them forward this year. 

“They’ve learned how much focusing on the little things can benefit them,” Baggetta said. “What we can carry from game to game [and] how we grow daily, weekly, monthly makes a difference.  Last year showed them that even with a small team, you can still be pretty successful.”

Nellis agreed with Baggetta that she will carry learning experiences from last season into this year. 

“I would say the biggest thing I learned is to be adaptable on-and-off the field,” Nellis said. “Things aren’t always going to go as planned. If you and your team are adaptable and pull together when needed, there’s really no limit to what you can do.” 

With these lessons in mind, the team is ready for an eventful season. In the coming weeks, they will get the opportunity to improve their record against competitors. The Eagles will next play on March 4 when they travel to Covenant College (Ga.) for a doubleheader against the Scots.

Junior Paige Nellis runs to home plate against Agnes Scott College on Feb. 25. (Natalie Sandlow/Staff) 

Sophia Arruda (25C) is from Lakeville, Massachusetts. Outside of the Wheel, she is a member of the Emory Women’s Cross Country and Track & Field teams, on the executive board for She’s the First and a tutor for Emory Reads. In her free time she enjoys traveling, skiing and spending time with friends.