Emory softball had a strong showing this past weekend, finishing the weekend with a 3-1 record. Emory defeated Meredith College (N.C.), Washington College (Md.) and Rowan University (N.J.) before falling to Salisbury University (Md.).

Emory started their weekend series against Meredith, winning 16-5. Sophomore pitcher Audrey Weller pitched a pair of innings and got the win, with freshmen Toko Miller and Madeline Maday combining for the remaining three. While Emory gave up five runs, only two were earned. At the plate, Emory had several outstanding players. Junior first baseman Taylor Forte had a pair of doubles and drove in two runs. Four other Eagles drove in two or more runs as well , including senior catcher Melody Carter, freshman second baseman Jessica MacWilliams, sophomore utility player Janelle Turnquest and freshman catcher Lana Herrmann. Herrmann and freshman catcher Tori Risner homered in the game.

The second game of the four game set was against Washington College, which Emory won 16-1. Washington College struggled in the field, committing an egregious six errors over the course of the five inning game. Carter had another big game, going two for three with a double, a walk and four RBI. Turnquest and junior second baseman Amy Wray each drove in a pair of runs as well. Freshman outfielder Jenna Wilson went two for three with three runs. On the mound, pitcher Brittany File threw three innings, giving up a run while striking out six. She was relieved by Weller, who threw a pair of perfect innings to finish the game out.

On the first of the two Sunday games, Emory defeated the ninth-ranked Rowan University squad by a score of 9-1. Forte finished the game three for three. Sophomore first baseman Ashley Powers and freshman shortstop Cassie Baca each homered as well. File got the win, improving her record to 7-0 on the season. She threw all six innings, striking out eight in the process.

Emory’s final game of the weekend saw the team’s first loss of the season in an extra-innings nail biter against Salisbury University. File threw the entire game, allowing seven runs while striking out 10. File struggled with the long ball, allowing three home runs over the course of the game. The Eagles struggled as a team at the plate, notching only four hits on the afternoon. Forte, Herrmann and Powers each drove in a pair of runs. Herrman’s came on a two run homer in the second inning.

After the weekend, the Eagles now stand with a 9-1 record on the season. Emory will retake the field on Sunday, March 8 against Lake Forest College (Ill.).

Special Projects Editor | Jacob Durst is a Goizueta Business School junior from Dallas, Texas double majoring in business and political science. He has been a big sports fan as long as he can remember, and his teams are the Houston Rockets, Texas Rangers and Dallas Cowboys. He also wants to throw out there that Sports is the best section.