The men’s soccer team extended their undefeated streak to six games and moved back into first place in the University Athletic Association (UAA) with a pair of wins this weekend against the Brandeis University Judges and New York University (NYU) Violets. The Eagles played both games at home at the Woodruff P.E. Center.

Head Coach Sonny Travis he was very pleased with his team’s performance.

“[I am] very proud of this team,” Travis said. “They continue to push each other. We have received attack contributions from many players at different times.”

Emory has gone 5-0-1 during their undefeated streak and has improved their record to 10-3-1 overall. The victories allowed Emory to maintain their lead with just three UAA games left on the schedule.

“We have worked hard up to this practice, pushing ourselves in practice everyday and the results are showing,” sophomore Matt Sherr said. “Being at the top of the UAA at this point of conference games is a great feeling, but there is a lot more work to be done.”

The first game of the weekend was against NYU during which Emory notched a 2-0 victory. The Eagles took the lead in the 34th minute behind a strike from the team’s leading scorer, junior co-captain Dylan Price.

The scoring play began in the Eagle’s defensive third where Sherr took possession and launched a long forward pass to Price. Price was able to beat the defender and slide the ball past the goalie for his eighth goal of the season. Sherr was credited with his second assist of the year.

Emory immediately extended their lead after halftime when junior Michael Rheaume scored his fourth goal of the season in the 47th minute. Junior co-captain Noah Rosen took a shot off a throw-in by junior Jeffrey Cochran that ricocheted off the post directly to Rheaume who tapped the ball in to score. Rosen was credited with his first assist of the season.

“One of our primary advantages is our depth and being able to plug people in off the bench without a drop in performance,” Sherr said.

The Eagle defense put up another strong effort in recording its second straight shutout. Sophomore goalkeeper Abe Hannigan earned his second straight and fifth overall shutout of the season. Hannigan saved each of the Violets’ three shots on goal.

“Our defense has been outstanding led by goalkeeper Abe Hannigan and defenders Matt Sherr and Noah Rosen,” Travis said.

Against Brandeis University, Emory scored three unanswered goals, including a pair from Price. Emory upset the 12th-ranked team 3-1.

“Dylan Price is back on track, scoring key goals,” Travis said.

The Eagles fell behind just 21 seconds into the match as the Judges capitalized off an early throw-in for the first goal of the match.

Emory was able to even the match in the 19th minute, taking advantage of a throw-in of their own. Cochran launched a long throw in front of the goal that Price headed into the goal for his ninth of the season. Cochran picked up his team leading seventh assist of the season.

Eight minutes later in the 27th minute, freshman Jason Andrejchak took advantage of a long run to give the Eagles a 2-1 lead. Andrejchak took possession in the middle third of the field and cut past a pair of Brandeis defenders to create the scoring opportunity. It was the freshman’s fourth goal of the year.

“There are players who stood out in terms of goal scorers and defensive efforts, but we won both games as a team and will continue to do so in the future,” Sherr said.

Price would extend Emory’s lead further in 53rd minute for his second goal of the match. Senior Andrew Jones set up the play when he drove into the box, able to keep possession after he was fouled. Jones sent a shot that was saved by the keeper but deflected right to Price who deposited a shot in the upper far corner for his 10th goal of the season.

Price now has 29 career goals and is tied with a pair of former Eagles, Merck Smith (81C) and Patrick in McFarland (08C), for the 14th most school history.

Hannigan made a career high six saves to improve to 10-3-1 on the season.

“The 2013 squad is a team effort and can be special,” Travis said. “Every match from here on out has meaning either for the UAA championship or a NCAA bid … Our next game is the most important of the season.”

Emory will be back in action on Wednesday, Oct. 23, as the Eagles travel to Lookout Mountain, Ga. to face Covenant College.

Travis has high hopes for the rest of the season.

“Each game it seems a different player steps up,” he said. “We played with a lot of heart and grit this past weekend.  We need to take a moment and enjoy where we are now, but not be content.”

– By Alexander Del Re 

Photo by Andy Ie