Emory faced off against Messiah College (N.C.) on Friday, Feb. 28 in a double-header event, where the Eagles walked away with two wins. The Eagles were able to continue their efforts on Sunday in a second double-header against DePauw University (Ind.).

Head Coach Penny Siqueiros secured her 500th career win after Emory slaughtered Messiah in an opening 8-0 win in their first game of the weekend. The Eagles maintained an aggressive offensive mindset with 11 hits, with an equally strong defense behind senior Amanda Kardys, who pitched all five innings. Kardys allowed only three hits and struck out one to improve her personal record to 9-0.

Leading the offense, sophomore Alyssa Pollard had two hits during her three trips at bat and added three runs in total. Sophomore Melody Carter and junior Moira Sullivan followed with two hits apiece and an RBI. Senior Megan Light also produced three hits at her three trips to plate.

Although the majority of the first two innings saw little action, Sullivan ignited the surge with a triple at the bottom of the second that scored Carter.

Following the first run of the day, senior Lauren Gorodetsky hit a single that allowed Sullivan to reach home plate. The Eagles finished with an 8-0 victory over the Falcons.

During their second contest against Messiah, Emory struggled offensively, but the Eagles were able to pull through with a 1-0 win.

Claire Bailey put the Eagles on the board with the sole run during the match-up. Bailey reached home after Sullivan was walked with bases loaded during the first inning. Freshman Brittany File was put to the test in the circle during a tight game, where she finished the day allowing just four hits.

File found herself in numerous pressured situations that she was able to maneuver through swiftly, especially in the fifth inning when the Falcons loaded the bases.

Heading into the weekend of games, the Eagles were looking to perfect their mistakes from the previous weekend.

“We are ready to work on the little things that can make us even more successful,” Light said. “Our mentality this season is to really take one game at a time and play for each other.”

Against DePauw University, Emory was again able to control the double-header, earning two wins to improve their record to 16-0.

The Eagles trampled over the Tigers 6-0 in their first game on Sunday.

During the second of Sunday’s games, Emory dominated again as they crushed DePauw 15-5 in five innings of play.

During the second game, Light led the offense with an outstanding two home runs, a total of five RBIs and four scored runs during her three times at plate.

Sophomore Hannah Sendel added the first home run of the day with a grand slam in the first inning to get the Eagles going while senior Ally Kersthold scored three runs to add to the offensive push. File rose to the occasion again, throwing all five innings and striking out six batters. Freshman Tara Fallahee was able to get a slice of the offensive action after hitting a home run that brought two runners home.

The Eagles look to improve their undefeated record when they host Agnes Scott College and Spalding University (Ky.) on March 8.

– By Zoe Elfenbein