The 13th generation of iPhones has received praising reviews and for good reason. It comes with improved cameras, better hardware to support the latest version of iOS, many quality of life improvements and the list can go on with most of the features that matter for regular users. If you own an Android device or a previous generation of iPhones, you may be tempted to get an Apple iPhone 13. While it is an appealing device, there are a few things worth thinking about before committing to an upgrade. In reality, not everyone should upgrade to the newest iPhone. Just because it is better than the previous generation is not a valid enough argument.

Who Should Not Upgrade

To get things out of the way, there is a certain category of users that should not upgrade and you may be one of them. Simply put, if you own a previous generation device such as the iPhone 12, an upgrade would not make that much sense. Even if you sell your existing phone and pay the difference to get the latest Apple iPhone 13, you will not get much out of it. The upgrades that the current generation has received over the previous one are not that dramatic. You are not missing much if you skip a generation. Even if smartphones get a new iteration every single year, considerable progress is seen when comparing devices that are two generations apart.

Another reason why you should not upgrade is if you are locked into a contract and want to get into a new contract to get the latest iPhone. It is a questionable decision at best to have two ongoing contracts just to have the latest generation of the iPhone. If you are contract-free and have the previous generation, you should not upgrade.

Who Should Upgrade

The only way it would be worth it to upgrade to the latest generation of iPhones if you own last year’s model is if you have it contract-free. You can sell that one and then put up the difference to get the Apple iPhone 13 contract-free. If you own an older model of iPhone that is at least two generations old, you should consider an upgrade. Odds are that you are already on a rolling contract and can either get a new contract or just buy the device outright.

Another good reason to upgrade to the latest iPhone is if you are currently using an older Android device or an Android device that you are not happy with. The transition from Android to iPhone should not scare you. The Apple iPhone 13 and iOS, in general, are easy to get used to. At the same time, with the latest iPhone, you get one of the most praised cameras that have been put in a smartphone. The only disappointment would be that you need to throw away all your old charging and data cables. You do get a charging cable with the iPhone but it is a USB-C to Lightning cable and the device does not come with a charger. Keep that in mind when you look for an iPhone as you may need to buy a charger as well.