The Student Government Association (SGA) voted unanimously on Monday evening to fund a full renovation of the McDonough field stage as well as events during Swoop’s Week, formerly known as Homecoming Week.

Student Programming Council (SPC) President and Goizueta Business School senior Raghvi Anand, Vice President and College senior Graham Brooks and B-School junior Matt Willis had presented the bill to the legislature at the last meeting, but the bill was tabled for a week.

Last week, Anand and Willis said that damages had begun appearing on the stage since it was built because it is currently composed of regular plywood, which is not suited to Atlanta weather.

A full renovation, which costs $15,000, would replace the regular plywood to marine-grade plywood. Originally, SPC asked SGA for $7,500, as the Division of Campus Life had agreed to provide the other half. Since last week, however, SPC members met with Senior Vice President and Dean of Campus Life Ajay Nair, who agreed to fund another $3,750.

At this week’s meeting, Brooks and Willis presented an updated version of the bill, which asked SGA for the remaining $3,750.

SGA Finance Committee Chair and College senior Calvin Lee was reluctant to fund the repairs because he said he believed it was not SGA’s responsibility to repair campus structures.

For these types of bills, SGA pulls from the Fee Interest Account (FIC).

According to Willis, the FIC is composed of the interest accumulated yearly from the student activities fee account.

The FIC account can only be used for permanent structures or events that last three or more years.

Brooks said that marine grade plywood would last eight to 10 years.

“Let’s think about big picture: there’s $77,000 in this account, there’s no plan to use this money, and it’s been sitting there for years. It’s meant for these projects. It’s less than five percent of the FIC.” Kyle Finegan, SGA vice president for graduate affairs and graduate student in the Business School, said. According to him, SGA has the responsibility to fund the repairs.

Ultimately, members of SGA said the bill was SGA’s responsibility because it would help a number of performing arts groups on campus that frequently use the stage.

“I think it’s absurd that we’re still talking about this,” SGA Sophomore Representative and College sophomore Ami Fields-Meyer said. “We should do it to help the students.”

SGA Representative-at-Large and College sophomore Raj Tilwa said that, having performed on the stage before, it was uncomfortable and was also in support of the bill.

Other SGA legislators said that they were concerned that if SGA funds this bill, other campus organizations will be more inclined to come to SGA for structural repairs.

Assistant Dean for Campus Life Matt Garrett said in response that SGA has teamed up with the Division of Campus Life before to fund the Eagles’ Landing renovations.

Despite these concerns, the bill passed unanimously.

Brooks also presented a bill that asked SGA for $5,000 to fund events during Swoop’s Week.

The first event is a kickoff event, which would occur from 5-7 p.m. on Sept. 23 at Asbury Circle. SPC asked SGA to help fund food and interactive attractions for the event. This would require $3,000.

The second event is Swoop’s Ball, which will take place on McDonough Field on Sept. 27. SPC asked SGA for $2,000 to provide food and drinks.

Brooks said that a goal of Swoop’s Week is to maximize risk reduction, which means there will not be alcohol at any of the events and SPC will encourage other campus organizations to contribute to risk reduction.

Lee informed the legislature that SGA funded around $5,000 to SPC last year for Homecoming Week as well.

SGA also passed this bill unanimously, which means it will be featured as a co-sponsor to the kick-off event and Swoop’s Ball.

Additionally, SGA unanimously confirmed B-School junior Nikhil Sharma and College sophomore and Wheel Sales Associate Bryce Robertson as associate justices for the Constitutional Council, a body of students that oversee hearings and questions of constitutionality.

SGA unanimously confirmed College junior Lindsay Hurley as secretary for the SGA as well.

– By Rupsha Basu